Oct 12, 2010, 12:10 PM EST
After a busy stretch of games to begin the 2010-11 season, it seems like the NHL’s catching its breath a bit. There are only two games on the schedule and for fastidious hockey fans, it’s a nice situation because watching both is a distinct possibility. Let’s take a look at today’s two contests.
(Start times are Eastern or ET)
7:30 PM ET
Many folks are still hung up on the savage and scintillating 90s rivalry between these two teams, when Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg clashed with Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Lidstrom and the Red Wings’ rotation of other stars. The Red Wings have been savvy when it comes to maintaining that star status in the salary cap era while the Avalanche clearly turned the page. Adam Foote and Milan Hejduk are just about the only remnants from those days, as the Avs have turned to goalie Craig Anderson and a stable of speedy young players to begin a new era. Rather than rekindling a rivalry, this is more like a matchup between old versus new, although the Red Wings might buck that trend by starting younger goalie Jimmy Howard instead of old mainstay Chris Osgood.
10:30 PM ET
It’s often fun to run into one of those “something has to give” games. The Thrashers come into this game having lost their last four road games (0-3-1) dating back to last season while the Kings lost their last three home openers. Both teams are also 1-1, so the something-has-to-give levels are really through the roof in this one. In other random contextual stats, Atlanta won the last three meetings between the two teams.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)