Oct 12, 2010, 5:51 PM EST
Bad news for the miserable Anaheim Ducks: the team announced that big, tough defenseman Andy Sutton will miss six to eight weeks. Sutton needed surgery after fracturing his right thumb Friday against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Ducks won’t be able to blame their problems on Sutton’s absence, but his large presence will be missed on a ravaged blue line. He played in 72 games with the New York Islanders and Ottawa Senators last season, scoring 13 points while registering a -10 rating and 107 penalty minutes.
The team added Andreas Lilja to help out, but things are just downright ugly in Anaheim. You have to wonder if they might be better off sending 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler down to the minors rather than keeping him in a losing environment and burning one of his entry-level years.
I expect things to get better in Anaheim – almost by the law of averages that they can’t be this awful much longer – but things certainly look grim right now.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 68
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 54
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)