Oct 12, 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
Bad news for the miserable Anaheim Ducks: the team announced that big, tough defenseman Andy Sutton will miss six to eight weeks. Sutton needed surgery after fracturing his right thumb Friday against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Ducks won’t be able to blame their problems on Sutton’s absence, but his large presence will be missed on a ravaged blue line. He played in 72 games with the New York Islanders and Ottawa Senators last season, scoring 13 points while registering a -10 rating and 107 penalty minutes.
The team added Andreas Lilja to help out, but things are just downright ugly in Anaheim. You have to wonder if they might be better off sending 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler down to the minors rather than keeping him in a losing environment and burning one of his entry-level years.
I expect things to get better in Anaheim – almost by the law of averages that they can’t be this awful much longer – but things certainly look grim right now.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)