Oct 12, 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
Bad news for the miserable Anaheim Ducks: the team announced that big, tough defenseman Andy Sutton will miss six to eight weeks. Sutton needed surgery after fracturing his right thumb Friday against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Ducks won’t be able to blame their problems on Sutton’s absence, but his large presence will be missed on a ravaged blue line. He played in 72 games with the New York Islanders and Ottawa Senators last season, scoring 13 points while registering a -10 rating and 107 penalty minutes.
The team added Andreas Lilja to help out, but things are just downright ugly in Anaheim. You have to wonder if they might be better off sending 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler down to the minors rather than keeping him in a losing environment and burning one of his entry-level years.
I expect things to get better in Anaheim – almost by the law of averages that they can’t be this awful much longer – but things certainly look grim right now.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5