Oct 12, 2010, 5:51 PM EDT
Bad news for the miserable Anaheim Ducks: the team announced that big, tough defenseman Andy Sutton will miss six to eight weeks. Sutton needed surgery after fracturing his right thumb Friday against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Ducks won’t be able to blame their problems on Sutton’s absence, but his large presence will be missed on a ravaged blue line. He played in 72 games with the New York Islanders and Ottawa Senators last season, scoring 13 points while registering a -10 rating and 107 penalty minutes.
The team added Andreas Lilja to help out, but things are just downright ugly in Anaheim. You have to wonder if they might be better off sending 2010 first round pick Cam Fowler down to the minors rather than keeping him in a losing environment and burning one of his entry-level years.
I expect things to get better in Anaheim – almost by the law of averages that they can’t be this awful much longer – but things certainly look grim right now.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)