Oct 11, 2010, 11:13 AM EST
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock will get to deliver his death stare in Detroit for four more years. The Wings announced they’ve signed Babcock to a four-year contract extension. Babcock has been instrumental to getting Detroit to stay on top of things in the Western Conference and brought Detroit their most recent Stanley Cup championship in 2008.
Helping to make sure that Babcock stays in Detroit is the sweet paycheck owner Mike Ilitch cuts for him each year. Babcock is the league’s highest-paid coaches making nearly $2 million a year. Babcock’s history as a head coach in the NHL has been a very successful one, coaching both the Wings and the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to the Stanley Cup finals. He brought the Ducks there in 2003 and Detroit in back-to-back seasons in 2008 and 2009.
Babcock has been instrumental in getting Detroit to be a tough out in the playoffs once again. He took over in 2005-2006 after Dave Lewis caused Detroit fans to pull their hair out with the team’s inability to do much of anything in the playoffs under his leadership. It took Babcock a couple of seasons to make things work out in Detroit, but their patience paid off in 2008.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)