Oct 11, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
With Thrashers goalie Ondrej Pavelec out of the hospital, the question about why he collapsed to the ice in Atlanta on Friday night has finally been answered. The Thrashers released this update as to what happened to Pavelec and what his immediate future holds.
Ondrej Pavelec was released from the hospital yesterday following two days of testing. Preliminary results indicate Ondrej had a neurocardiogenic syncope episode (a type of fainting spell), which caused him to fall and hit his head on the ice, leading to the subsequent concussion and loss of consciousness. He was cleared to return home following a battery of testing on his heart and brain. For precautionary measures, he is undergoing further tests on his heart as well as blood and genetic testing this week. If all goes as expected, he will be medically cleared following those results and will be available to resume playing at the conclusion of any symptoms from his concussion.
While many are still worried that there could be something else wrong with Pavelec, to hear that it was just a fainting spell is a bit of a relief. We won’t know for sure if Pavelec is out of danger until other tests are completed, but if this is all he’s got to deal with that’s great news. Unfortunately, Pavelec also suffered a concussion thanks to his fall to the ice and that could prove to be more of an issue later on.
In roster moves, the Thrashers sent Drew McIntyre back to Chicago in the AHL and have recalled former Denver University star goalie Peter Mannino to take his spot. Mannino was due to be called up initially but was feeling under the weather at the time. As for when Pavelec could return to the lineup, his agent Allan Walsh is feeling confident that he could be back soon.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)