Oct 11, 2010, 8:15 PM EST
It was a scary scene in Buffalo today, although I’m not sure what can be done about hits like this (video might come soon?).
Jason Pominville went up against the boards and was hit from behind/the side by defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson while Pominville was waiting to receive a pass. It’s always a bit risky to provide “instant analysis” of a dangerous check, but this didn’t seem like an outrageously vicious or an excessively “malicious” hit. That’s just my gut reaction, though, so feel free to share your thoughts on the collision in the comments.
Pominville was definitely in a prone position, so it makes sense that Hjalmarsson was kicked out of the game, but we’ll have to wait and see if the check is suspension-worthy. Hjalmarsson received a five-minute major penalty for the hit, so the immediate punishment might (might) help him avoid a suspension, but you never know with the league’s blindfolded dart-throwing justice system.
The best news, though, is that Pominville appeared conscious as he was being taken out on a stretcher. He gave the telltale “thumbs up” as he was being carted off to indicate to Sabres fans that he was OK (at least to some degree).
As always, we’ll keep an eye on Pominville’s health updates as well as any news on whether or not the league might fine and/or suspend Hjalmarsson for the hit. Hopefully Pominville will be healthy in the big picture and get back on the ice soon.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)