Oct 11, 2010, 5:54 PM EDT
Ever get the feeling that the life of Sean Avery is never dull? You better believe it. During today’s Rangers 6-4 loss to the Islanders, early in the game Avery ran afoul of Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski and the two had an enlightened chat after the whistle. Wisniewski shared his thoughts of Avery by greeting him with a rather obvious and crude gesture. You can check out that gesture here at YouTube.
Better judgment and a strong sense of embarrassment prevents me from fully describing Wisniewski’s gesture towards Avery, but in our G-rated manner, let’s just say that James Wisniewski seems to think that Sean Avery is a big fan of eating popsicles.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman commented on the situation saying he didn’t see what Wisniewski did and he’ll leave that up to NHL hockey ops to figure out if any punishment needs to be meted out for him. It’s curious that Bettman says this because given who the gesture was directed at, Sean Avery, and Bettman’s comments on Sean Avery’s colorful description of former girlfriend and main squeeze of Dion Phaneuf, Elisha Cuthbert, you’d think that Commissioner Bettman’s sensibilities would’ve been violated. Perhaps he’ll be in for a shock once he does see the tape.
Sean Avery, of course, has an opinion on things and Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants shares the wisdom of Sean Avery with us.
“It’s pretty obvious what the guy was doing,” Avery said. “But I’m sure nothing will happen to him. Because nothing ever happens. It’s interesting he’d get a warning for something like that. Imagine what would happen if I did it. (Heck), they sent me to rehab.”
Avery, whether you like him or not, has a good point. Avery’s comments about Cuthbert were insanely over-punished by the league (all in all, six games) and while that needed a description for some people to get what he was talking about, Wisniewski’s hand-to-mouth gesture is pretty obvious to figure out.
Obviously this is already being made into a big deal by all of us casual observers because, hey, we’re all really juvenile when it comes down to it. Will Wisniewski get suspended for this? Conventional logic says, yes, he will. Will he get the Sean Avery treatment for it though? Highly doubtful, and the guy that’ll be most upset about that is Sean Avery.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)