Oct 11, 2010, 5:54 PM EDT
Ever get the feeling that the life of Sean Avery is never dull? You better believe it. During today’s Rangers 6-4 loss to the Islanders, early in the game Avery ran afoul of Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski and the two had an enlightened chat after the whistle. Wisniewski shared his thoughts of Avery by greeting him with a rather obvious and crude gesture. You can check out that gesture here at YouTube.
Better judgment and a strong sense of embarrassment prevents me from fully describing Wisniewski’s gesture towards Avery, but in our G-rated manner, let’s just say that James Wisniewski seems to think that Sean Avery is a big fan of eating popsicles.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman commented on the situation saying he didn’t see what Wisniewski did and he’ll leave that up to NHL hockey ops to figure out if any punishment needs to be meted out for him. It’s curious that Bettman says this because given who the gesture was directed at, Sean Avery, and Bettman’s comments on Sean Avery’s colorful description of former girlfriend and main squeeze of Dion Phaneuf, Elisha Cuthbert, you’d think that Commissioner Bettman’s sensibilities would’ve been violated. Perhaps he’ll be in for a shock once he does see the tape.
Sean Avery, of course, has an opinion on things and Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants shares the wisdom of Sean Avery with us.
“It’s pretty obvious what the guy was doing,” Avery said. “But I’m sure nothing will happen to him. Because nothing ever happens. It’s interesting he’d get a warning for something like that. Imagine what would happen if I did it. (Heck), they sent me to rehab.”
Avery, whether you like him or not, has a good point. Avery’s comments about Cuthbert were insanely over-punished by the league (all in all, six games) and while that needed a description for some people to get what he was talking about, Wisniewski’s hand-to-mouth gesture is pretty obvious to figure out.
Obviously this is already being made into a big deal by all of us casual observers because, hey, we’re all really juvenile when it comes down to it. Will Wisniewski get suspended for this? Conventional logic says, yes, he will. Will he get the Sean Avery treatment for it though? Highly doubtful, and the guy that’ll be most upset about that is Sean Avery.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)