Oct 11, 2010, 5:54 PM EDT
Ever get the feeling that the life of Sean Avery is never dull? You better believe it. During today’s Rangers 6-4 loss to the Islanders, early in the game Avery ran afoul of Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski and the two had an enlightened chat after the whistle. Wisniewski shared his thoughts of Avery by greeting him with a rather obvious and crude gesture. You can check out that gesture here at YouTube.
Better judgment and a strong sense of embarrassment prevents me from fully describing Wisniewski’s gesture towards Avery, but in our G-rated manner, let’s just say that James Wisniewski seems to think that Sean Avery is a big fan of eating popsicles.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman commented on the situation saying he didn’t see what Wisniewski did and he’ll leave that up to NHL hockey ops to figure out if any punishment needs to be meted out for him. It’s curious that Bettman says this because given who the gesture was directed at, Sean Avery, and Bettman’s comments on Sean Avery’s colorful description of former girlfriend and main squeeze of Dion Phaneuf, Elisha Cuthbert, you’d think that Commissioner Bettman’s sensibilities would’ve been violated. Perhaps he’ll be in for a shock once he does see the tape.
Sean Avery, of course, has an opinion on things and Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants shares the wisdom of Sean Avery with us.
“It’s pretty obvious what the guy was doing,” Avery said. “But I’m sure nothing will happen to him. Because nothing ever happens. It’s interesting he’d get a warning for something like that. Imagine what would happen if I did it. (Heck), they sent me to rehab.”
Avery, whether you like him or not, has a good point. Avery’s comments about Cuthbert were insanely over-punished by the league (all in all, six games) and while that needed a description for some people to get what he was talking about, Wisniewski’s hand-to-mouth gesture is pretty obvious to figure out.
Obviously this is already being made into a big deal by all of us casual observers because, hey, we’re all really juvenile when it comes down to it. Will Wisniewski get suspended for this? Conventional logic says, yes, he will. Will he get the Sean Avery treatment for it though? Highly doubtful, and the guy that’ll be most upset about that is Sean Avery.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)