Oct 11, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
The Rangers have gotten off to a good start just a game into their season, but they could be getting their captain Chris Drury back by the end of the week. Larry Brooks of the New York Post got word from Rangers coach John Tortorella that Drury could very well rejoin the team by Friday. While that’s the good news, the bad news is that the Rangers will have some moves to take care of if that’s the case.
The Blueshirts will have to make both lineup and roster decisions to accommodate Drury’s return. Center Todd White ($2.375M) and forward Tim Kennedy ($550,000), scratches in each of the Rangers’ first two games, both cleared waivers last week and can be assigned to Hartford at any time before Nov. 5.
“We’ll cross that [bridge] when we get there,” Tortorella said when asked what move might be in the offing.
The salary dance is a fun one for the Rangers to deal with, but it’s made a lot easier by having Wade Redden and his gigantic contract sitting in the AHL. With the hot start of rookie Derek Stepan, where they’ll try to find a comfortable spot to put Drury into the lineup will be curious. With Drury and Vinny Prospal out of the lineup, the Rangers have been playing less-than-optimal options at center like Erik Christensen and Artem Anisimov. Drury’s return should provide a boost to the Rangers lineup, or at least a very competent face-off man.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 0
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 31
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 19
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)