Oct 10, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Dallas Stars power forward in the making Jamie Benn took a savage hit from New York Islanders defenseman James Wiesnewski last night, a check that forced Benn to leave last night’s win.
While coach Marc Crawford seems optimistic that Benn will be OK, he did tell Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News that they still will go through the normal process to make sure he didn’t suffer a concussion.
Benn was hit hard by James Wisniewski along the boards and had to leave the game. He is following protocol for a possible concussion, but he seemed fine after the game.
“Jamie’s fine,” Stars coach Marc Crawford said. “He got hit pretty good there. He was kind of tied up with the forward and I don’t think he saw Wisniewski coming in. It’s one of those north-south hits, and obviously, they’ll follow all the protocols, but he’s fine.”
Considering how New Jersey Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador went from having an “ear situation” to a concussion this preseason, it’s clear that perception and reality can be a different thing when it comes to head injuries. Hopefully the Stars will be careful, because as you can see from this video, it was a high-impact hit.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 17
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)