Oct 10, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Dallas Stars power forward in the making Jamie Benn took a savage hit from New York Islanders defenseman James Wiesnewski last night, a check that forced Benn to leave last night’s win.
While coach Marc Crawford seems optimistic that Benn will be OK, he did tell Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News that they still will go through the normal process to make sure he didn’t suffer a concussion.
Benn was hit hard by James Wisniewski along the boards and had to leave the game. He is following protocol for a possible concussion, but he seemed fine after the game.
“Jamie’s fine,” Stars coach Marc Crawford said. “He got hit pretty good there. He was kind of tied up with the forward and I don’t think he saw Wisniewski coming in. It’s one of those north-south hits, and obviously, they’ll follow all the protocols, but he’s fine.”
Considering how New Jersey Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador went from having an “ear situation” to a concussion this preseason, it’s clear that perception and reality can be a different thing when it comes to head injuries. Hopefully the Stars will be careful, because as you can see from this video, it was a high-impact hit.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)