Oct 10, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Dallas Stars power forward in the making Jamie Benn took a savage hit from New York Islanders defenseman James Wiesnewski last night, a check that forced Benn to leave last night’s win.
While coach Marc Crawford seems optimistic that Benn will be OK, he did tell Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News that they still will go through the normal process to make sure he didn’t suffer a concussion.
Benn was hit hard by James Wisniewski along the boards and had to leave the game. He is following protocol for a possible concussion, but he seemed fine after the game.
“Jamie’s fine,” Stars coach Marc Crawford said. “He got hit pretty good there. He was kind of tied up with the forward and I don’t think he saw Wisniewski coming in. It’s one of those north-south hits, and obviously, they’ll follow all the protocols, but he’s fine.”
Considering how New Jersey Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador went from having an “ear situation” to a concussion this preseason, it’s clear that perception and reality can be a different thing when it comes to head injuries. Hopefully the Stars will be careful, because as you can see from this video, it was a high-impact hit.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)