Oct 10, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Dallas Stars power forward in the making Jamie Benn took a savage hit from New York Islanders defenseman James Wiesnewski last night, a check that forced Benn to leave last night’s win.
While coach Marc Crawford seems optimistic that Benn will be OK, he did tell Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News that they still will go through the normal process to make sure he didn’t suffer a concussion.
Benn was hit hard by James Wisniewski along the boards and had to leave the game. He is following protocol for a possible concussion, but he seemed fine after the game.
“Jamie’s fine,” Stars coach Marc Crawford said. “He got hit pretty good there. He was kind of tied up with the forward and I don’t think he saw Wisniewski coming in. It’s one of those north-south hits, and obviously, they’ll follow all the protocols, but he’s fine.”
Considering how New Jersey Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador went from having an “ear situation” to a concussion this preseason, it’s clear that perception and reality can be a different thing when it comes to head injuries. Hopefully the Stars will be careful, because as you can see from this video, it was a high-impact hit.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (79)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games