Oct 10, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Just two 8:00 PM ET games today, so let’s take a look at who’s starting.
Los Angeles at Calgary
Likely Los Angeles starter: Jonathan Bernier – It appears that Jonathan Quick is the team’s No. 1 starter, but the team is giving top pick Bernier a real shot too. Quick was a workhorse last season, but this should be a platoon, as long as Bernier can follow through on his end of the bargain. (Source: Rich Hammond from Kings Insider.)
Likely Calgary starter: Miikka Kiprusoff – He might not always put a great effort forward, especially with a shaky Flames team in front of him. But when in doubt, start Kipper on a light weekend. He’ll get a ton of starts and therefore plenty of opportunities to earn wins.
Florida at Edmonton
Likely Florida starter: Tomas Vokoun – Unless (until?) super prospect Jacob Markstrom gets the call-up from the minors, Vokoun should get a lot of starts. He won’t win a ton of games because of the team in front of him, but he’s one of the best goalies in the NHL. (Source: Harvey Filakov.)
Likely Edmonton starter: Nikolai Khabibulin – The Oilers had a great debut against their hated rivals from Calgary, with Khabibulin earning a shutout. It should be another great night to start the aging Russian as the Panthers are about as punch-less as an NHL team can get. At least on paper. (Source: Dan Tencer.)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)