Oct 10, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Just two 8:00 PM ET games today, so let’s take a look at who’s starting.
Los Angeles at Calgary
Likely Los Angeles starter: Jonathan Bernier – It appears that Jonathan Quick is the team’s No. 1 starter, but the team is giving top pick Bernier a real shot too. Quick was a workhorse last season, but this should be a platoon, as long as Bernier can follow through on his end of the bargain. (Source: Rich Hammond from Kings Insider.)
Likely Calgary starter: Miikka Kiprusoff – He might not always put a great effort forward, especially with a shaky Flames team in front of him. But when in doubt, start Kipper on a light weekend. He’ll get a ton of starts and therefore plenty of opportunities to earn wins.
Florida at Edmonton
Likely Florida starter: Tomas Vokoun – Unless (until?) super prospect Jacob Markstrom gets the call-up from the minors, Vokoun should get a lot of starts. He won’t win a ton of games because of the team in front of him, but he’s one of the best goalies in the NHL. (Source: Harvey Filakov.)
Likely Edmonton starter: Nikolai Khabibulin – The Oilers had a great debut against their hated rivals from Calgary, with Khabibulin earning a shutout. It should be another great night to start the aging Russian as the Panthers are about as punch-less as an NHL team can get. At least on paper. (Source: Dan Tencer.)
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)