Oct 10, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Just two 8:00 PM ET games today, so let’s take a look at who’s starting.
Los Angeles at Calgary
Likely Los Angeles starter: Jonathan Bernier – It appears that Jonathan Quick is the team’s No. 1 starter, but the team is giving top pick Bernier a real shot too. Quick was a workhorse last season, but this should be a platoon, as long as Bernier can follow through on his end of the bargain. (Source: Rich Hammond from Kings Insider.)
Likely Calgary starter: Miikka Kiprusoff – He might not always put a great effort forward, especially with a shaky Flames team in front of him. But when in doubt, start Kipper on a light weekend. He’ll get a ton of starts and therefore plenty of opportunities to earn wins.
Florida at Edmonton
Likely Florida starter: Tomas Vokoun – Unless (until?) super prospect Jacob Markstrom gets the call-up from the minors, Vokoun should get a lot of starts. He won’t win a ton of games because of the team in front of him, but he’s one of the best goalies in the NHL. (Source: Harvey Filakov.)
Likely Edmonton starter: Nikolai Khabibulin – The Oilers had a great debut against their hated rivals from Calgary, with Khabibulin earning a shutout. It should be another great night to start the aging Russian as the Panthers are about as punch-less as an NHL team can get. At least on paper. (Source: Dan Tencer.)
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)