Oct 10, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Just two 8:00 PM ET games today, so let’s take a look at who’s starting.
Los Angeles at Calgary
Likely Los Angeles starter: Jonathan Bernier – It appears that Jonathan Quick is the team’s No. 1 starter, but the team is giving top pick Bernier a real shot too. Quick was a workhorse last season, but this should be a platoon, as long as Bernier can follow through on his end of the bargain. (Source: Rich Hammond from Kings Insider.)
Likely Calgary starter: Miikka Kiprusoff – He might not always put a great effort forward, especially with a shaky Flames team in front of him. But when in doubt, start Kipper on a light weekend. He’ll get a ton of starts and therefore plenty of opportunities to earn wins.
Florida at Edmonton
Likely Florida starter: Tomas Vokoun – Unless (until?) super prospect Jacob Markstrom gets the call-up from the minors, Vokoun should get a lot of starts. He won’t win a ton of games because of the team in front of him, but he’s one of the best goalies in the NHL. (Source: Harvey Filakov.)
Likely Edmonton starter: Nikolai Khabibulin – The Oilers had a great debut against their hated rivals from Calgary, with Khabibulin earning a shutout. It should be another great night to start the aging Russian as the Panthers are about as punch-less as an NHL team can get. At least on paper. (Source: Dan Tencer.)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5