Oct 10, 2010, 5:50 PM EST
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Just two 8:00 PM ET games today, so let’s take a look at who’s starting.
Los Angeles at Calgary
Likely Los Angeles starter: Jonathan Bernier – It appears that Jonathan Quick is the team’s No. 1 starter, but the team is giving top pick Bernier a real shot too. Quick was a workhorse last season, but this should be a platoon, as long as Bernier can follow through on his end of the bargain. (Source: Rich Hammond from Kings Insider.)
Likely Calgary starter: Miikka Kiprusoff – He might not always put a great effort forward, especially with a shaky Flames team in front of him. But when in doubt, start Kipper on a light weekend. He’ll get a ton of starts and therefore plenty of opportunities to earn wins.
Florida at Edmonton
Likely Florida starter: Tomas Vokoun – Unless (until?) super prospect Jacob Markstrom gets the call-up from the minors, Vokoun should get a lot of starts. He won’t win a ton of games because of the team in front of him, but he’s one of the best goalies in the NHL. (Source: Harvey Filakov.)
Likely Edmonton starter: Nikolai Khabibulin – The Oilers had a great debut against their hated rivals from Calgary, with Khabibulin earning a shutout. It should be another great night to start the aging Russian as the Panthers are about as punch-less as an NHL team can get. At least on paper. (Source: Dan Tencer.)
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)