Oct 10, 2010, 10:15 PM EDT
The news for Atlanta goalie Ondrej Pavelec is getting better. After collapsing Friday night in a game against the Washington Capitals and spending the last three days in an Atlanta hospital, Pavelec has been released and now rests at home to recover. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the story.
After losing consciousness and collapsing minutes into the team’s season-opening game Friday, Pavelec remained hospitalized for testing over the past three days. All tests were normal and, currently, the cause of the incident remains unknown. He suffered headaches from a concussion sustained after hitting his head on the ice.
“My heart looks good. My brain looks good. Everything is normal but we still have to find out what it is,” Pavelec told the AJC Saturday.
It’s great to see that Pavelec is doing better and that he’s at least able to recover at home. As for what the Thrashers will do in his stead, it’ll be the Chris Mason show in goal. The Thrashers recalled Drew McIntyre from the AHL to backup Mason while Pavelec is moved to injured reserve. Mason goes from potentially splitting time with Pavelec to having to carry the full load until Pavelec is ready to return to action.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)