Oct 10, 2010, 10:15 PM EDT
The news for Atlanta goalie Ondrej Pavelec is getting better. After collapsing Friday night in a game against the Washington Capitals and spending the last three days in an Atlanta hospital, Pavelec has been released and now rests at home to recover. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the story.
After losing consciousness and collapsing minutes into the team’s season-opening game Friday, Pavelec remained hospitalized for testing over the past three days. All tests were normal and, currently, the cause of the incident remains unknown. He suffered headaches from a concussion sustained after hitting his head on the ice.
“My heart looks good. My brain looks good. Everything is normal but we still have to find out what it is,” Pavelec told the AJC Saturday.
It’s great to see that Pavelec is doing better and that he’s at least able to recover at home. As for what the Thrashers will do in his stead, it’ll be the Chris Mason show in goal. The Thrashers recalled Drew McIntyre from the AHL to backup Mason while Pavelec is moved to injured reserve. Mason goes from potentially splitting time with Pavelec to having to carry the full load until Pavelec is ready to return to action.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)