Oct 10, 2010, 10:15 PM EDT
The news for Atlanta goalie Ondrej Pavelec is getting better. After collapsing Friday night in a game against the Washington Capitals and spending the last three days in an Atlanta hospital, Pavelec has been released and now rests at home to recover. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the story.
After losing consciousness and collapsing minutes into the team’s season-opening game Friday, Pavelec remained hospitalized for testing over the past three days. All tests were normal and, currently, the cause of the incident remains unknown. He suffered headaches from a concussion sustained after hitting his head on the ice.
“My heart looks good. My brain looks good. Everything is normal but we still have to find out what it is,” Pavelec told the AJC Saturday.
It’s great to see that Pavelec is doing better and that he’s at least able to recover at home. As for what the Thrashers will do in his stead, it’ll be the Chris Mason show in goal. The Thrashers recalled Drew McIntyre from the AHL to backup Mason while Pavelec is moved to injured reserve. Mason goes from potentially splitting time with Pavelec to having to carry the full load until Pavelec is ready to return to action.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)