Oct 10, 2010, 10:15 PM EDT
The news for Atlanta goalie Ondrej Pavelec is getting better. After collapsing Friday night in a game against the Washington Capitals and spending the last three days in an Atlanta hospital, Pavelec has been released and now rests at home to recover. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the story.
After losing consciousness and collapsing minutes into the team’s season-opening game Friday, Pavelec remained hospitalized for testing over the past three days. All tests were normal and, currently, the cause of the incident remains unknown. He suffered headaches from a concussion sustained after hitting his head on the ice.
“My heart looks good. My brain looks good. Everything is normal but we still have to find out what it is,” Pavelec told the AJC Saturday.
It’s great to see that Pavelec is doing better and that he’s at least able to recover at home. As for what the Thrashers will do in his stead, it’ll be the Chris Mason show in goal. The Thrashers recalled Drew McIntyre from the AHL to backup Mason while Pavelec is moved to injured reserve. Mason goes from potentially splitting time with Pavelec to having to carry the full load until Pavelec is ready to return to action.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control