Oct 10, 2010, 10:15 PM EDT
The news for Atlanta goalie Ondrej Pavelec is getting better. After collapsing Friday night in a game against the Washington Capitals and spending the last three days in an Atlanta hospital, Pavelec has been released and now rests at home to recover. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the story.
After losing consciousness and collapsing minutes into the team’s season-opening game Friday, Pavelec remained hospitalized for testing over the past three days. All tests were normal and, currently, the cause of the incident remains unknown. He suffered headaches from a concussion sustained after hitting his head on the ice.
“My heart looks good. My brain looks good. Everything is normal but we still have to find out what it is,” Pavelec told the AJC Saturday.
It’s great to see that Pavelec is doing better and that he’s at least able to recover at home. As for what the Thrashers will do in his stead, it’ll be the Chris Mason show in goal. The Thrashers recalled Drew McIntyre from the AHL to backup Mason while Pavelec is moved to injured reserve. Mason goes from potentially splitting time with Pavelec to having to carry the full load until Pavelec is ready to return to action.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)