Oct 10, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Andreas Lilja might not be getting the kind of $1 million deal he passed on with the Detroit Red Wings during the summer, but it sounds like he might finally land an NHL job.
With Andy Sutton on the mend with a broken thumb, the Ducks have a hole to fill on their already shaky blue line. Lilja won’t solve the defensive ills that allowed 89 shots on Jonas Hiller in only two games, but he will at least provide plenty of experience. Ansar Khan passes along a Swedish report that Lilja signed a one-year deal with the Ducks.
Former Detroit Red Wings defenseman Andreas Lilja, whose visa was set to expire today, apparently has signed a one-year contract with the Anaheim Ducks, according to Sweden’s Expressen.
The Ducks needed some help on defense after Andy Sutton fractured his thumb in a fight with Detroit’s Ruslan Salei on Friday.
Congrats to Lilja, even if he’s basically walking into a disaster area that is the Ducks’ defense.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights