Oct 10, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
Even if it’s slightly exaggerated, it seems like the Nashville Predators are forced to find a new starter every year since their No. 1 always gets hurt. First, it was Tomas Vokoun making way for Chris Mason. Mason then had to fight off Dan Ellis, who was scuttled aside for their current big-money guy, Pekka Rinne.
After a sterling 29 for 30 save performance through most of the Predators’ season opener, Rinne went down with a “lower body injury” after his defenseman Francis Bouillon pushed Troy Bodie on top of him. The Sporting News has the story.
Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne is day-to-day with what team officials call a lower-body injury from Saturday’s 4-1 victory over the Anaheim Ducks. “I know it’s not anything major,” coach Barry Trotz told reporters after the game.
Rinne was seen walking without a limp after the game, The Tennessean of Nashville reported. He was not made available to the media.
Rinne left the game at 17:24 of the third period, just over a minute after Anaheim’s Troy Bodie fell onto him and into the goal. Bodie had been pushed by Predators defenseman Francis Bouillon.
“We both fell on (Rinne), and hopefully it’s not that bad,” Bouillon told The Tennessean. “I felt kind of bad, but it’s part of the game. My game is to play physical and to hit some guys, so I had no choice.”
Anders Lindback came in to relieve Rinne while Dirk Hoag of On the Forecheck states that Mark Dekanich might be called up while Rinne recovers from his injury.
It’s a tough blow to the Predators as Rinne enters his first season as a true unquestioned starter, but if any team can roll with the injury-based punches, it’s Nashville.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)