Oct 10, 2010, 11:50 AM EST
Even if it’s slightly exaggerated, it seems like the Nashville Predators are forced to find a new starter every year since their No. 1 always gets hurt. First, it was Tomas Vokoun making way for Chris Mason. Mason then had to fight off Dan Ellis, who was scuttled aside for their current big-money guy, Pekka Rinne.
After a sterling 29 for 30 save performance through most of the Predators’ season opener, Rinne went down with a “lower body injury” after his defenseman Francis Bouillon pushed Troy Bodie on top of him. The Sporting News has the story.
Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne is day-to-day with what team officials call a lower-body injury from Saturday’s 4-1 victory over the Anaheim Ducks. “I know it’s not anything major,” coach Barry Trotz told reporters after the game.
Rinne was seen walking without a limp after the game, The Tennessean of Nashville reported. He was not made available to the media.
Rinne left the game at 17:24 of the third period, just over a minute after Anaheim’s Troy Bodie fell onto him and into the goal. Bodie had been pushed by Predators defenseman Francis Bouillon.
“We both fell on (Rinne), and hopefully it’s not that bad,” Bouillon told The Tennessean. “I felt kind of bad, but it’s part of the game. My game is to play physical and to hit some guys, so I had no choice.”
Anders Lindback came in to relieve Rinne while Dirk Hoag of On the Forecheck states that Mark Dekanich might be called up while Rinne recovers from his injury.
It’s a tough blow to the Predators as Rinne enters his first season as a true unquestioned starter, but if any team can roll with the injury-based punches, it’s Nashville.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)