Oct 10, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT
To the surprise of few, the NHL suspended New Jersey Devils enforcer Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for one game after he instigated a fight in last night’s game against the Washington Capitals. Here’s the league’s statement on the matter.
New Jersey Devils forward Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond has been automatically suspended for one game, without pay, for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday night’s game against the Washington Capitals.
Letourneau-Leblond was assessed an instigator penalty at 15:53 of the third period. Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Letourneau-Leblond will forfeit $2,822.58 in salary. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Letourneau-Leblond will miss Monday afternoon’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
With Lebond’s suspension, the team’s salary cap woes and possible injuries to Brian Rolston and Anton Volchenkov, the Devils face the very real possibility of playing without a full 18-man roster against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.
It might not happen if Rolston or Volchenkov actually play and it would probably only be for one game or so, but it’s still surprising to see a team run by Devils GM Lou Lamoriello in such a state.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)