Oct 10, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT
To the surprise of few, the NHL suspended New Jersey Devils enforcer Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for one game after he instigated a fight in last night’s game against the Washington Capitals. Here’s the league’s statement on the matter.
New Jersey Devils forward Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond has been automatically suspended for one game, without pay, for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday night’s game against the Washington Capitals.
Letourneau-Leblond was assessed an instigator penalty at 15:53 of the third period. Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Letourneau-Leblond will forfeit $2,822.58 in salary. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Letourneau-Leblond will miss Monday afternoon’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
With Lebond’s suspension, the team’s salary cap woes and possible injuries to Brian Rolston and Anton Volchenkov, the Devils face the very real possibility of playing without a full 18-man roster against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.
It might not happen if Rolston or Volchenkov actually play and it would probably only be for one game or so, but it’s still surprising to see a team run by Devils GM Lou Lamoriello in such a state.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)