Oct 10, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT
To the surprise of few, the NHL suspended New Jersey Devils enforcer Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for one game after he instigated a fight in last night’s game against the Washington Capitals. Here’s the league’s statement on the matter.
New Jersey Devils forward Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond has been automatically suspended for one game, without pay, for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday night’s game against the Washington Capitals.
Letourneau-Leblond was assessed an instigator penalty at 15:53 of the third period. Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Letourneau-Leblond will forfeit $2,822.58 in salary. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Letourneau-Leblond will miss Monday afternoon’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
With Lebond’s suspension, the team’s salary cap woes and possible injuries to Brian Rolston and Anton Volchenkov, the Devils face the very real possibility of playing without a full 18-man roster against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.
It might not happen if Rolston or Volchenkov actually play and it would probably only be for one game or so, but it’s still surprising to see a team run by Devils GM Lou Lamoriello in such a state.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 0
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 71
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (86)