Oct 10, 2010, 5:25 PM EST
To the surprise of few, the NHL suspended New Jersey Devils enforcer Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for one game after he instigated a fight in last night’s game against the Washington Capitals. Here’s the league’s statement on the matter.
New Jersey Devils forward Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond has been automatically suspended for one game, without pay, for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday night’s game against the Washington Capitals.
Letourneau-Leblond was assessed an instigator penalty at 15:53 of the third period. Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Letourneau-Leblond will forfeit $2,822.58 in salary. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Letourneau-Leblond will miss Monday afternoon’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
With Lebond’s suspension, the team’s salary cap woes and possible injuries to Brian Rolston and Anton Volchenkov, the Devils face the very real possibility of playing without a full 18-man roster against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.
It might not happen if Rolston or Volchenkov actually play and it would probably only be for one game or so, but it’s still surprising to see a team run by Devils GM Lou Lamoriello in such a state.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 0
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 28
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)