Oct 10, 2010, 5:25 PM EST
To the surprise of few, the NHL suspended New Jersey Devils enforcer Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for one game after he instigated a fight in last night’s game against the Washington Capitals. Here’s the league’s statement on the matter.
New Jersey Devils forward Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond has been automatically suspended for one game, without pay, for instigating a fight in the final five minutes of Saturday night’s game against the Washington Capitals.
Letourneau-Leblond was assessed an instigator penalty at 15:53 of the third period. Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Letourneau-Leblond will forfeit $2,822.58 in salary. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Letourneau-Leblond will miss Monday afternoon’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
With Lebond’s suspension, the team’s salary cap woes and possible injuries to Brian Rolston and Anton Volchenkov, the Devils face the very real possibility of playing without a full 18-man roster against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday.
It might not happen if Rolston or Volchenkov actually play and it would probably only be for one game or so, but it’s still surprising to see a team run by Devils GM Lou Lamoriello in such a state.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)