Oct 10, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
There have been plenty of improbable fights lately. In the preseason, Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin had a brief and semi-comical clash with Columbus Blue Jackets star Rick Nash. Friday’s Detroit Red Wings shellacking of the Anaheim Ducks brought out the Ducks’ worst habits, which forced multiple Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk to start a rather shocking fight with pest/power forward Corey Perry.
But as the Washington Capitals absolutely pounded the New Jersey Devils 7-2 last night, things got a little out of hand. The Devils earned 25 penalty minutes while the Capitals put up a substantial 38 and there were five fights in the third period, according to the box score.
The most surprising fight of the night came when two finesse players – Washington’s Mike Green and New Jersey’s Ilya Kovalchuk – got in a quick skirmish last night. Here is a video of the short fight, for your early morning amusement.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 0
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 24
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8