Oct 10, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
There have been plenty of improbable fights lately. In the preseason, Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin had a brief and semi-comical clash with Columbus Blue Jackets star Rick Nash. Friday’s Detroit Red Wings shellacking of the Anaheim Ducks brought out the Ducks’ worst habits, which forced multiple Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk to start a rather shocking fight with pest/power forward Corey Perry.
But as the Washington Capitals absolutely pounded the New Jersey Devils 7-2 last night, things got a little out of hand. The Devils earned 25 penalty minutes while the Capitals put up a substantial 38 and there were five fights in the third period, according to the box score.
The most surprising fight of the night came when two finesse players – Washington’s Mike Green and New Jersey’s Ilya Kovalchuk – got in a quick skirmish last night. Here is a video of the short fight, for your early morning amusement.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 11
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 35
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)