Oct 10, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
There have been plenty of improbable fights lately. In the preseason, Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin had a brief and semi-comical clash with Columbus Blue Jackets star Rick Nash. Friday’s Detroit Red Wings shellacking of the Anaheim Ducks brought out the Ducks’ worst habits, which forced multiple Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk to start a rather shocking fight with pest/power forward Corey Perry.
But as the Washington Capitals absolutely pounded the New Jersey Devils 7-2 last night, things got a little out of hand. The Devils earned 25 penalty minutes while the Capitals put up a substantial 38 and there were five fights in the third period, according to the box score.
The most surprising fight of the night came when two finesse players – Washington’s Mike Green and New Jersey’s Ilya Kovalchuk – got in a quick skirmish last night. Here is a video of the short fight, for your early morning amusement.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 22
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5