Oct 10, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
There have been plenty of improbable fights lately. In the preseason, Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin had a brief and semi-comical clash with Columbus Blue Jackets star Rick Nash. Friday’s Detroit Red Wings shellacking of the Anaheim Ducks brought out the Ducks’ worst habits, which forced multiple Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk to start a rather shocking fight with pest/power forward Corey Perry.
But as the Washington Capitals absolutely pounded the New Jersey Devils 7-2 last night, things got a little out of hand. The Devils earned 25 penalty minutes while the Capitals put up a substantial 38 and there were five fights in the third period, according to the box score.
The most surprising fight of the night came when two finesse players – Washington’s Mike Green and New Jersey’s Ilya Kovalchuk – got in a quick skirmish last night. Here is a video of the short fight, for your early morning amusement.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)