Oct 10, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
There have been plenty of improbable fights lately. In the preseason, Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin had a brief and semi-comical clash with Columbus Blue Jackets star Rick Nash. Friday’s Detroit Red Wings shellacking of the Anaheim Ducks brought out the Ducks’ worst habits, which forced multiple Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk to start a rather shocking fight with pest/power forward Corey Perry.
But as the Washington Capitals absolutely pounded the New Jersey Devils 7-2 last night, things got a little out of hand. The Devils earned 25 penalty minutes while the Capitals put up a substantial 38 and there were five fights in the third period, according to the box score.
The most surprising fight of the night came when two finesse players – Washington’s Mike Green and New Jersey’s Ilya Kovalchuk – got in a quick skirmish last night. Here is a video of the short fight, for your early morning amusement.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)