Oct 9, 2010, 3:35 AM EDT
While the Red Wings’ season got off to a hot start with a 4-0 win over Anaheim, it didn’t come without some worry. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson left the game in the first period with back spasms and will miss Saturday’s game in Chicago. The Wings will have to call on rookie defenseman Jakub Kindl to take Ericsson’s place in the lineup.
Ericsson’s absence provides Kindl with a big opportunity to make a name for himself as Ericsson’s play suffered last season, and while he showed slight improvement in training camp it’s not as if he’s irreplaceable in the lineup as the team’s sixth defenseman. Kindl won a spot on the Wings roster out of training camp, beating out Derek Meech for the position.
(Photo: Claus Andersen – Getty Images)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5