Oct 9, 2010, 3:35 AM EDT
While the Red Wings’ season got off to a hot start with a 4-0 win over Anaheim, it didn’t come without some worry. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson left the game in the first period with back spasms and will miss Saturday’s game in Chicago. The Wings will have to call on rookie defenseman Jakub Kindl to take Ericsson’s place in the lineup.
Ericsson’s absence provides Kindl with a big opportunity to make a name for himself as Ericsson’s play suffered last season, and while he showed slight improvement in training camp it’s not as if he’s irreplaceable in the lineup as the team’s sixth defenseman. Kindl won a spot on the Wings roster out of training camp, beating out Derek Meech for the position.
(Photo: Claus Andersen – Getty Images)
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires