Oct 9, 2010, 3:35 AM EDT
While the Red Wings’ season got off to a hot start with a 4-0 win over Anaheim, it didn’t come without some worry. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson left the game in the first period with back spasms and will miss Saturday’s game in Chicago. The Wings will have to call on rookie defenseman Jakub Kindl to take Ericsson’s place in the lineup.
Ericsson’s absence provides Kindl with a big opportunity to make a name for himself as Ericsson’s play suffered last season, and while he showed slight improvement in training camp it’s not as if he’s irreplaceable in the lineup as the team’s sixth defenseman. Kindl won a spot on the Wings roster out of training camp, beating out Derek Meech for the position.
(Photo: Claus Andersen – Getty Images)
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 10
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 36
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12