Oct 9, 2010, 3:35 AM EDT
While the Red Wings’ season got off to a hot start with a 4-0 win over Anaheim, it didn’t come without some worry. Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson left the game in the first period with back spasms and will miss Saturday’s game in Chicago. The Wings will have to call on rookie defenseman Jakub Kindl to take Ericsson’s place in the lineup.
Ericsson’s absence provides Kindl with a big opportunity to make a name for himself as Ericsson’s play suffered last season, and while he showed slight improvement in training camp it’s not as if he’s irreplaceable in the lineup as the team’s sixth defenseman. Kindl won a spot on the Wings roster out of training camp, beating out Derek Meech for the position.
(Photo: Claus Andersen – Getty Images)
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 4
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 11
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21