Oct 9, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
Anyone who’s been following the Vancouver Canucks captaincy situation probably won’t be very surprised by the “news” that Henrik Sedin is officially the team’s new captain. Here’s more from the Associated Press.
Henrik Sedin became the Vancouver Canucks captain Saturday night in a ceremony before their season-opening game against the Los Angeles Kings.
Sedin takes over from goalie Roberto Luongo, who relinquished the role almost four weeks earlier.
The 30-year-old Swedish center led the NHL in scoring with 112 points and was voted league MVP last season. Identical twin brother Daniel Sedin, and Ryan Kesler, a two-time finalist for the Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward will serve as alternate captains.
After a lengthy ceremony to kick off the Canucks’ 40th NHL season that included most of the first Canucks team from 1970-71 gathering at center ice, original captain Orland Kurtenbach presented Sedin with his new jersey with a “C” on the chest.
Some thought that Ryan Kesler might have the right stuff to be the team’s captain, but a lot of teams are simply putting their best players in leadership roles. Henrik Sedin certainly qualifies (unless you like Daniel better), so congratulations to him as he becomes (probably) the first wacky looking ginger twin to wear the “C” in NHL history.
(Photo credit: Darryl Dyck of the Canadian Press, via CBC.ca.)
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)