Oct 9, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
Anyone who’s been following the Vancouver Canucks captaincy situation probably won’t be very surprised by the “news” that Henrik Sedin is officially the team’s new captain. Here’s more from the Associated Press.
Henrik Sedin became the Vancouver Canucks captain Saturday night in a ceremony before their season-opening game against the Los Angeles Kings.
Sedin takes over from goalie Roberto Luongo, who relinquished the role almost four weeks earlier.
The 30-year-old Swedish center led the NHL in scoring with 112 points and was voted league MVP last season. Identical twin brother Daniel Sedin, and Ryan Kesler, a two-time finalist for the Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward will serve as alternate captains.
After a lengthy ceremony to kick off the Canucks’ 40th NHL season that included most of the first Canucks team from 1970-71 gathering at center ice, original captain Orland Kurtenbach presented Sedin with his new jersey with a “C” on the chest.
Some thought that Ryan Kesler might have the right stuff to be the team’s captain, but a lot of teams are simply putting their best players in leadership roles. Henrik Sedin certainly qualifies (unless you like Daniel better), so congratulations to him as he becomes (probably) the first wacky looking ginger twin to wear the “C” in NHL history.
(Photo credit: Darryl Dyck of the Canadian Press, via CBC.ca.)
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 6
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)