Oct 9, 2010, 11:10 PM EST
Anyone who’s been following the Vancouver Canucks captaincy situation probably won’t be very surprised by the “news” that Henrik Sedin is officially the team’s new captain. Here’s more from the Associated Press.
Henrik Sedin became the Vancouver Canucks captain Saturday night in a ceremony before their season-opening game against the Los Angeles Kings.
Sedin takes over from goalie Roberto Luongo, who relinquished the role almost four weeks earlier.
The 30-year-old Swedish center led the NHL in scoring with 112 points and was voted league MVP last season. Identical twin brother Daniel Sedin, and Ryan Kesler, a two-time finalist for the Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward will serve as alternate captains.
After a lengthy ceremony to kick off the Canucks’ 40th NHL season that included most of the first Canucks team from 1970-71 gathering at center ice, original captain Orland Kurtenbach presented Sedin with his new jersey with a “C” on the chest.
Some thought that Ryan Kesler might have the right stuff to be the team’s captain, but a lot of teams are simply putting their best players in leadership roles. Henrik Sedin certainly qualifies (unless you like Daniel better), so congratulations to him as he becomes (probably) the first wacky looking ginger twin to wear the “C” in NHL history.
(Photo credit: Darryl Dyck of the Canadian Press, via CBC.ca.)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)