Oct 9, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
Anyone who’s been following the Vancouver Canucks captaincy situation probably won’t be very surprised by the “news” that Henrik Sedin is officially the team’s new captain. Here’s more from the Associated Press.
Henrik Sedin became the Vancouver Canucks captain Saturday night in a ceremony before their season-opening game against the Los Angeles Kings.
Sedin takes over from goalie Roberto Luongo, who relinquished the role almost four weeks earlier.
The 30-year-old Swedish center led the NHL in scoring with 112 points and was voted league MVP last season. Identical twin brother Daniel Sedin, and Ryan Kesler, a two-time finalist for the Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward will serve as alternate captains.
After a lengthy ceremony to kick off the Canucks’ 40th NHL season that included most of the first Canucks team from 1970-71 gathering at center ice, original captain Orland Kurtenbach presented Sedin with his new jersey with a “C” on the chest.
Some thought that Ryan Kesler might have the right stuff to be the team’s captain, but a lot of teams are simply putting their best players in leadership roles. Henrik Sedin certainly qualifies (unless you like Daniel better), so congratulations to him as he becomes (probably) the first wacky looking ginger twin to wear the “C” in NHL history.
(Photo credit: Darryl Dyck of the Canadian Press, via CBC.ca.)
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)