Oct 9, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
Anyone who’s been following the Vancouver Canucks captaincy situation probably won’t be very surprised by the “news” that Henrik Sedin is officially the team’s new captain. Here’s more from the Associated Press.
Henrik Sedin became the Vancouver Canucks captain Saturday night in a ceremony before their season-opening game against the Los Angeles Kings.
Sedin takes over from goalie Roberto Luongo, who relinquished the role almost four weeks earlier.
The 30-year-old Swedish center led the NHL in scoring with 112 points and was voted league MVP last season. Identical twin brother Daniel Sedin, and Ryan Kesler, a two-time finalist for the Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward will serve as alternate captains.
After a lengthy ceremony to kick off the Canucks’ 40th NHL season that included most of the first Canucks team from 1970-71 gathering at center ice, original captain Orland Kurtenbach presented Sedin with his new jersey with a “C” on the chest.
Some thought that Ryan Kesler might have the right stuff to be the team’s captain, but a lot of teams are simply putting their best players in leadership roles. Henrik Sedin certainly qualifies (unless you like Daniel better), so congratulations to him as he becomes (probably) the first wacky looking ginger twin to wear the “C” in NHL history.
(Photo credit: Darryl Dyck of the Canadian Press, via CBC.ca.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)