Oct 9, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
The Thrashers have provided another update on the condition of goalie Ondrej Pavelec and it turns out his spill to the ice after passing out may have done even more harm than it looked.
In case you missed it last night, Pavelec collapsed to the ice unconscious just 2:25 into the Thrashers game against Washington. Pavelec laid on ice motionless until he was removed on a stretcher. It’s as yet unknown what caused him to collapse, but his tumble to the ice may have caused another issue as Pavelec is in an Atlanta hospital in stable condition with a concussion.
Coach Craig Ramsay said Saturday that Pavelec has a concussion. It is likely that the concussion was the result of his fall, but nothing is certain at this point. Doctors are most likely still trying to find the cause of the collapse.
Pavelec was alert and responsive after arriving at the hospital. He told me that he is feeling better in a text message early Saturday morning. I have plans to speak to Pavelec later this afternoon and will update.
“He’s awake and alert but they have to do more tests,” Ramsay said. “We have very little knowledge other than he seems to be doing much, much better.”
It’s possible that Pavelec’s concussion was suffered after falling to the ice and hitting his head. If the concussion was an existing condition, however, that could reignite the debate on how to treat such injuries. As it is right now, no one knows when the concussion occurred.
The Thrashers play tonight in Tampa Bay and they’ve called up goalie Drew McIntyre from AHL Chicago to backup Chris Mason. Mason replaced Pavelec last night and made 29 saves earning the victory in the Thrashers 4-2 win over the Capitals.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 53
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 41
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 46
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)