Oct 9, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
The Thrashers have provided another update on the condition of goalie Ondrej Pavelec and it turns out his spill to the ice after passing out may have done even more harm than it looked.
In case you missed it last night, Pavelec collapsed to the ice unconscious just 2:25 into the Thrashers game against Washington. Pavelec laid on ice motionless until he was removed on a stretcher. It’s as yet unknown what caused him to collapse, but his tumble to the ice may have caused another issue as Pavelec is in an Atlanta hospital in stable condition with a concussion.
Coach Craig Ramsay said Saturday that Pavelec has a concussion. It is likely that the concussion was the result of his fall, but nothing is certain at this point. Doctors are most likely still trying to find the cause of the collapse.
Pavelec was alert and responsive after arriving at the hospital. He told me that he is feeling better in a text message early Saturday morning. I have plans to speak to Pavelec later this afternoon and will update.
“He’s awake and alert but they have to do more tests,” Ramsay said. “We have very little knowledge other than he seems to be doing much, much better.”
It’s possible that Pavelec’s concussion was suffered after falling to the ice and hitting his head. If the concussion was an existing condition, however, that could reignite the debate on how to treat such injuries. As it is right now, no one knows when the concussion occurred.
The Thrashers play tonight in Tampa Bay and they’ve called up goalie Drew McIntyre from AHL Chicago to backup Chris Mason. Mason replaced Pavelec last night and made 29 saves earning the victory in the Thrashers 4-2 win over the Capitals.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)