Oct 9, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
The Thrashers have provided another update on the condition of goalie Ondrej Pavelec and it turns out his spill to the ice after passing out may have done even more harm than it looked.
In case you missed it last night, Pavelec collapsed to the ice unconscious just 2:25 into the Thrashers game against Washington. Pavelec laid on ice motionless until he was removed on a stretcher. It’s as yet unknown what caused him to collapse, but his tumble to the ice may have caused another issue as Pavelec is in an Atlanta hospital in stable condition with a concussion.
Coach Craig Ramsay said Saturday that Pavelec has a concussion. It is likely that the concussion was the result of his fall, but nothing is certain at this point. Doctors are most likely still trying to find the cause of the collapse.
Pavelec was alert and responsive after arriving at the hospital. He told me that he is feeling better in a text message early Saturday morning. I have plans to speak to Pavelec later this afternoon and will update.
“He’s awake and alert but they have to do more tests,” Ramsay said. “We have very little knowledge other than he seems to be doing much, much better.”
It’s possible that Pavelec’s concussion was suffered after falling to the ice and hitting his head. If the concussion was an existing condition, however, that could reignite the debate on how to treat such injuries. As it is right now, no one knows when the concussion occurred.
The Thrashers play tonight in Tampa Bay and they’ve called up goalie Drew McIntyre from AHL Chicago to backup Chris Mason. Mason replaced Pavelec last night and made 29 saves earning the victory in the Thrashers 4-2 win over the Capitals.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 0
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 15
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)