Oct 9, 2010, 2:01 PM EST
The Thrashers have provided another update on the condition of goalie Ondrej Pavelec and it turns out his spill to the ice after passing out may have done even more harm than it looked.
In case you missed it last night, Pavelec collapsed to the ice unconscious just 2:25 into the Thrashers game against Washington. Pavelec laid on ice motionless until he was removed on a stretcher. It’s as yet unknown what caused him to collapse, but his tumble to the ice may have caused another issue as Pavelec is in an Atlanta hospital in stable condition with a concussion.
Coach Craig Ramsay said Saturday that Pavelec has a concussion. It is likely that the concussion was the result of his fall, but nothing is certain at this point. Doctors are most likely still trying to find the cause of the collapse.
Pavelec was alert and responsive after arriving at the hospital. He told me that he is feeling better in a text message early Saturday morning. I have plans to speak to Pavelec later this afternoon and will update.
“He’s awake and alert but they have to do more tests,” Ramsay said. “We have very little knowledge other than he seems to be doing much, much better.”
It’s possible that Pavelec’s concussion was suffered after falling to the ice and hitting his head. If the concussion was an existing condition, however, that could reignite the debate on how to treat such injuries. As it is right now, no one knows when the concussion occurred.
The Thrashers play tonight in Tampa Bay and they’ve called up goalie Drew McIntyre from AHL Chicago to backup Chris Mason. Mason replaced Pavelec last night and made 29 saves earning the victory in the Thrashers 4-2 win over the Capitals.
(Photo: Kevin C. Cox – Getty Images)
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 30
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (152)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)