Oct 9, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
In case you missed it, the fans in Edmonton got a glimpse of what their future may be all about. While Many fans were focusing on #1 draft pick Taylor Hall, it was Jordan Eberle who made a big first impression on opening night for the Oilers.
Eberle scored a goal and an assist in his Edmonton Oilers debut, outshining his rookie teammates Taylor Hall and Magnus Paajarvi. With Eberle being considered an undersized forward, having him make such an explosive debut took many by surprise, especially when that debut has a prolific highlight reel goal like this one.
Eberle’s single-handed effort was so impressive that fans and players alike are still talking about it days later.
“A lot of skill that kid has,” said teammate Gilbert Brule. “Just a beautiful goal.”
“Watching that in person? No doubt it was as good as it gets,” said coach Tom Renney.
Already tagged as a clutch performer with Canada’s world junior team, Eberle, 20, put another exclamation mark on his resume, although there was one dissenting voice and it came from Ian White of the Calgary Flames.
The defenceman had a great view, too. He was sprawled out on the ice, which Eberle opted to take advantage of by dragging the puck around him.
“Well, it was fluky,” White told the Calgary Herald. “I got a poke-check on it and it bounces right over. I’m sure there’ll be nicer ones down the road, but good for him to get his first one like that. But it was lucky. I did get my stick on it.”
From his vantage point, White saw it as lucky.
As far as Ian White is concerned, we’ll consider the source before getting indignant about things. Eberle’s goal was so good that it’s already inspired a brilliant, satirical takeoff seen on TSN. I would embed the hell out of this video for you all to see, but I can’t. So just trust me when I say that you have to click on this link to check out what TSN’s Ryan Rishaug set up with Eberle’s teammates Taylor Hall, Jim Vandermeer, and captain Shawn Horcoff.
The honeymoon may not last all that long, but after such a miserable season last year, the Oilers players and fans are happy to have some hockey excitement back in their lives once again.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)