Oct 9, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
In case you missed it, the fans in Edmonton got a glimpse of what their future may be all about. While Many fans were focusing on #1 draft pick Taylor Hall, it was Jordan Eberle who made a big first impression on opening night for the Oilers.
Eberle scored a goal and an assist in his Edmonton Oilers debut, outshining his rookie teammates Taylor Hall and Magnus Paajarvi. With Eberle being considered an undersized forward, having him make such an explosive debut took many by surprise, especially when that debut has a prolific highlight reel goal like this one.
Eberle’s single-handed effort was so impressive that fans and players alike are still talking about it days later.
“A lot of skill that kid has,” said teammate Gilbert Brule. “Just a beautiful goal.”
“Watching that in person? No doubt it was as good as it gets,” said coach Tom Renney.
Already tagged as a clutch performer with Canada’s world junior team, Eberle, 20, put another exclamation mark on his resume, although there was one dissenting voice and it came from Ian White of the Calgary Flames.
The defenceman had a great view, too. He was sprawled out on the ice, which Eberle opted to take advantage of by dragging the puck around him.
“Well, it was fluky,” White told the Calgary Herald. “I got a poke-check on it and it bounces right over. I’m sure there’ll be nicer ones down the road, but good for him to get his first one like that. But it was lucky. I did get my stick on it.”
From his vantage point, White saw it as lucky.
As far as Ian White is concerned, we’ll consider the source before getting indignant about things. Eberle’s goal was so good that it’s already inspired a brilliant, satirical takeoff seen on TSN. I would embed the hell out of this video for you all to see, but I can’t. So just trust me when I say that you have to click on this link to check out what TSN’s Ryan Rishaug set up with Eberle’s teammates Taylor Hall, Jim Vandermeer, and captain Shawn Horcoff.
The honeymoon may not last all that long, but after such a miserable season last year, the Oilers players and fans are happy to have some hockey excitement back in their lives once again.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)