Oct 9, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
In case you missed it, the fans in Edmonton got a glimpse of what their future may be all about. While Many fans were focusing on #1 draft pick Taylor Hall, it was Jordan Eberle who made a big first impression on opening night for the Oilers.
Eberle scored a goal and an assist in his Edmonton Oilers debut, outshining his rookie teammates Taylor Hall and Magnus Paajarvi. With Eberle being considered an undersized forward, having him make such an explosive debut took many by surprise, especially when that debut has a prolific highlight reel goal like this one.
Eberle’s single-handed effort was so impressive that fans and players alike are still talking about it days later.
“A lot of skill that kid has,” said teammate Gilbert Brule. “Just a beautiful goal.”
“Watching that in person? No doubt it was as good as it gets,” said coach Tom Renney.
Already tagged as a clutch performer with Canada’s world junior team, Eberle, 20, put another exclamation mark on his resume, although there was one dissenting voice and it came from Ian White of the Calgary Flames.
The defenceman had a great view, too. He was sprawled out on the ice, which Eberle opted to take advantage of by dragging the puck around him.
“Well, it was fluky,” White told the Calgary Herald. “I got a poke-check on it and it bounces right over. I’m sure there’ll be nicer ones down the road, but good for him to get his first one like that. But it was lucky. I did get my stick on it.”
From his vantage point, White saw it as lucky.
As far as Ian White is concerned, we’ll consider the source before getting indignant about things. Eberle’s goal was so good that it’s already inspired a brilliant, satirical takeoff seen on TSN. I would embed the hell out of this video for you all to see, but I can’t. So just trust me when I say that you have to click on this link to check out what TSN’s Ryan Rishaug set up with Eberle’s teammates Taylor Hall, Jim Vandermeer, and captain Shawn Horcoff.
The honeymoon may not last all that long, but after such a miserable season last year, the Oilers players and fans are happy to have some hockey excitement back in their lives once again.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)