Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
We’re not even finished with the first weekend of the regular season and the New York Islanders are already making a serious case for being the NHL’s unluckiest team, at least when it comes to injuries. (Better rub that lucky rabbit’s foot, Rick DiPietro.)
The New York Islanders Twitter feed shares the news that 2009 No.1 overall draft pick John Tavares will not return to their game against the Dallas Stars tonight because of a “mild concussion.” Stars tough guy Adam Burish delivered the hit that left Tavares woozy.
#Isles Tavares will not return to the game. He is out with a mild concussion to be evaluated Monday.
“Mild concussion” seems like as much of an paradoxical statement as “understated Jack Black performance,” but we’ll trust the Islanders that the head injury might not be too severe. We’ll let you know once the team passes along word about his status, whether that’s Monday, Tuesday or later (or sooner?).
If Tavares misses significant time, that will mean the Islanders will play without three of its best players from the 2009-10 season: Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit. Is it too early to “tank” already?
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)