Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
We’re not even finished with the first weekend of the regular season and the New York Islanders are already making a serious case for being the NHL’s unluckiest team, at least when it comes to injuries. (Better rub that lucky rabbit’s foot, Rick DiPietro.)
The New York Islanders Twitter feed shares the news that 2009 No.1 overall draft pick John Tavares will not return to their game against the Dallas Stars tonight because of a “mild concussion.” Stars tough guy Adam Burish delivered the hit that left Tavares woozy.
#Isles Tavares will not return to the game. He is out with a mild concussion to be evaluated Monday.
“Mild concussion” seems like as much of an paradoxical statement as “understated Jack Black performance,” but we’ll trust the Islanders that the head injury might not be too severe. We’ll let you know once the team passes along word about his status, whether that’s Monday, Tuesday or later (or sooner?).
If Tavares misses significant time, that will mean the Islanders will play without three of its best players from the 2009-10 season: Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit. Is it too early to “tank” already?
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 9
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)