Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
We’re not even finished with the first weekend of the regular season and the New York Islanders are already making a serious case for being the NHL’s unluckiest team, at least when it comes to injuries. (Better rub that lucky rabbit’s foot, Rick DiPietro.)
The New York Islanders Twitter feed shares the news that 2009 No.1 overall draft pick John Tavares will not return to their game against the Dallas Stars tonight because of a “mild concussion.” Stars tough guy Adam Burish delivered the hit that left Tavares woozy.
#Isles Tavares will not return to the game. He is out with a mild concussion to be evaluated Monday.
“Mild concussion” seems like as much of an paradoxical statement as “understated Jack Black performance,” but we’ll trust the Islanders that the head injury might not be too severe. We’ll let you know once the team passes along word about his status, whether that’s Monday, Tuesday or later (or sooner?).
If Tavares misses significant time, that will mean the Islanders will play without three of its best players from the 2009-10 season: Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit. Is it too early to “tank” already?
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)