Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
We’re not even finished with the first weekend of the regular season and the New York Islanders are already making a serious case for being the NHL’s unluckiest team, at least when it comes to injuries. (Better rub that lucky rabbit’s foot, Rick DiPietro.)
The New York Islanders Twitter feed shares the news that 2009 No.1 overall draft pick John Tavares will not return to their game against the Dallas Stars tonight because of a “mild concussion.” Stars tough guy Adam Burish delivered the hit that left Tavares woozy.
#Isles Tavares will not return to the game. He is out with a mild concussion to be evaluated Monday.
“Mild concussion” seems like as much of an paradoxical statement as “understated Jack Black performance,” but we’ll trust the Islanders that the head injury might not be too severe. We’ll let you know once the team passes along word about his status, whether that’s Monday, Tuesday or later (or sooner?).
If Tavares misses significant time, that will mean the Islanders will play without three of its best players from the 2009-10 season: Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit. Is it too early to “tank” already?
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 33
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 51
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 37
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 74
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 45
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)