Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 PM EST
We’re not even finished with the first weekend of the regular season and the New York Islanders are already making a serious case for being the NHL’s unluckiest team, at least when it comes to injuries. (Better rub that lucky rabbit’s foot, Rick DiPietro.)
The New York Islanders Twitter feed shares the news that 2009 No.1 overall draft pick John Tavares will not return to their game against the Dallas Stars tonight because of a “mild concussion.” Stars tough guy Adam Burish delivered the hit that left Tavares woozy.
#Isles Tavares will not return to the game. He is out with a mild concussion to be evaluated Monday.
“Mild concussion” seems like as much of an paradoxical statement as “understated Jack Black performance,” but we’ll trust the Islanders that the head injury might not be too severe. We’ll let you know once the team passes along word about his status, whether that’s Monday, Tuesday or later (or sooner?).
If Tavares misses significant time, that will mean the Islanders will play without three of its best players from the 2009-10 season: Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Mark Streit. Is it too early to “tank” already?
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 1
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 64
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)