Oct 8, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Thrashers starting goalie Ondrej Pavelec was taken from the ice in Atlanta on a stretcher after passing out during the middle of play in their home opener against the Washington Capitals.
Pavelec collapsed on the ice during a break in play just 2:25 into the first period. Pavelec was seen on video signaling to the Thrashers bench before collapsing to the ice. Pavelec laid on the ice motionless for ten minutes being tended to medical personnel before being taken away on a stretcher.
We’re not going to speculate on anything happening here but we’ll just say that it looked scary to see.
Update: Here’s video of what happened.
We’ll update his condition further as news comes along.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 27
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54