Oct 8, 2010, 7:55 PM EDT
Thrashers starting goalie Ondrej Pavelec was taken from the ice in Atlanta on a stretcher after passing out during the middle of play in their home opener against the Washington Capitals.
Pavelec collapsed on the ice during a break in play just 2:25 into the first period. Pavelec was seen on video signaling to the Thrashers bench before collapsing to the ice. Pavelec laid on the ice motionless for ten minutes being tended to medical personnel before being taken away on a stretcher.
We’re not going to speculate on anything happening here but we’ll just say that it looked scary to see.
Update: Here’s video of what happened.
We’ll update his condition further as news comes along.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)