Oct 8, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
While the Washington Capitals top goalie job certainly isn’t set in stone, it seems like the smart money is on Semyon Varlamov as the “1a” in the rotation. At least to start the season.
His stranglehold over the top job is in some danger because the Russian youngster is dealing with injury problems, but Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that Varlamov should be good to go next week.
#Caps goalie Semyon Varlamov is expected to be back and playing next week.
It’s an interesting goalie situation in Washington, as Neuvirth recently signed a two-year, $2.3 million extension this off-season while Varlamov enters the final year of his entry-level deal with plenty of monetary incentive to have a knock-out 2010-11 season. Varlamov and electric winger Alex Semin are the only “major” players in D.C. whose contract situations aren’t settled, so the team’s success (or lack thereof) should make an enormous impact on both players’ bargaining power.
Both need to be healthy, though, something that neither have been able to count on in their young careers.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 2
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 30
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 24
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 15
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 52
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 28
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)