Oct 8, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
While the Washington Capitals top goalie job certainly isn’t set in stone, it seems like the smart money is on Semyon Varlamov as the “1a” in the rotation. At least to start the season.
His stranglehold over the top job is in some danger because the Russian youngster is dealing with injury problems, but Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that Varlamov should be good to go next week.
#Caps goalie Semyon Varlamov is expected to be back and playing next week.
It’s an interesting goalie situation in Washington, as Neuvirth recently signed a two-year, $2.3 million extension this off-season while Varlamov enters the final year of his entry-level deal with plenty of monetary incentive to have a knock-out 2010-11 season. Varlamov and electric winger Alex Semin are the only “major” players in D.C. whose contract situations aren’t settled, so the team’s success (or lack thereof) should make an enormous impact on both players’ bargaining power.
Both need to be healthy, though, something that neither have been able to count on in their young careers.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)