Oct 8, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
Almost every team in the NHL is taking some kind of gamble on a “wild card” or “X-factor” player. Sometimes they’re solid veterans who could make the most of a plum job (see: Mike Comrie in Pittsburgh) or enigmatic talents whose decisions will leave just as many people guessing as their skills (example: Nikolai Zherdev in Columbus).
For the Nashville Predators, that “wild card” player is wayward former Montreal Canadiens prospect Sergei Kostitsyn (the speedy one of the Kostitysn brothers). He seems to have the potential to produce a Maxim Afinogenov-type underrated season, but he won’t be able to get off to a quick start if reports are correct.
It’s unclear how long the toe injury will hamper Kostitsyn, but considering the fact that speed is one of his greatest assets on the ice, you have to think that Nashville might hesitate to rush him back too quickly. It’s a tough break for a player who dealt with a lot of problems the last few years, whether those wounds were self-inflicted or not.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)