Oct 8, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
For a while, it looked like this game might get out of hand.
The San Jose Sharks took a 2-0 lead midway through the first period while Steve Mason looked more than a little beleaguered. The third-year goalie got his game together, though, and the Blue Jackets scored two goals in 15 seconds to get back in the game at the end of the first frame.
Ultimately both Mason and new Sharks goalie Antti Niemi played solidly in this one. Niemi stopped 30 out of 32 shots while Mason put aside 25 out of 28.
The Sharks connected on 2 out of 6 power plays while the Blue Jackets on 1 out of 7 in a notably sloppy game. Torrey Mitchell, Joe Thornton and Logan Couture scored for the Sharks, with Couture scoring the game-winner on the power play. Kristian Huselius provided a spirited effort in this one, putting six shots on net while connecting with one power-play goal. R.J. Umberger scored the other Columbus goal in this one.
San Jose and Columbus play another game in Sweden on Saturday Night. It’ll be interesting to see if Niemi gets back-to-back starts or if the Sharks decide to run with a 1a/1b goalie rotation and start Antero Niittymaki. Much like when Minnesota produced an improved effort against Carolina in their second game, expect the Blue Jackets to play more desperate hockey Saturday night. If not, it will be a pretty depressing flight back for Columbus.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)