Oct 8, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes signed their first round pick Brandon Gormley today, a player who went 13th overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Gormley followed Cam Fowler in the draft this year as an individual who seemed like a “blue chip” guy only to slip out of the top 10 picks. As usual, financial details weren’t available regarding the deal.
Here is a little more from the Coyotes.
Last season, the 6-foot-2, 195 pound defenseman played 58 regular season games with the Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) recording 43 points (9-34-43) and 54 penalty minutes. In two games with Moncton this season, Gormley has recorded five points (1-4-5).
“We are very pleased to sign Brandon,” said Maloney. “He is a talented young defenseman and we are confident that he will be a big part of our organization for years to come.”
Want to know a little more about Gormley’s potential? Take a look at Hockey’s Future.com’s talent analysis on Gormley.
Poised is the best way to describe this 18-year-old defenseman. Always making the safe play in his own zone to effortlessly break up chances and rarely making a poor decision when contributing offensively, Gormley’s steady play is an integral part of Moncton’s success. Though he is thought of as primarily a defense-first player, Gormley’s ability to read the play makes him a key part of the Wildcats power play as well.
While Fowler might make an immediate jump with the Ducks, it’s unclear how soon Gormley will make the big jump to the NHL level. That being said, he could be a big part of the Coyotes future, whether that future is in Phoenix or not.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)