Oct 8, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes signed their first round pick Brandon Gormley today, a player who went 13th overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Gormley followed Cam Fowler in the draft this year as an individual who seemed like a “blue chip” guy only to slip out of the top 10 picks. As usual, financial details weren’t available regarding the deal.
Here is a little more from the Coyotes.
Last season, the 6-foot-2, 195 pound defenseman played 58 regular season games with the Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) recording 43 points (9-34-43) and 54 penalty minutes. In two games with Moncton this season, Gormley has recorded five points (1-4-5).
“We are very pleased to sign Brandon,” said Maloney. “He is a talented young defenseman and we are confident that he will be a big part of our organization for years to come.”
Want to know a little more about Gormley’s potential? Take a look at Hockey’s Future.com’s talent analysis on Gormley.
Poised is the best way to describe this 18-year-old defenseman. Always making the safe play in his own zone to effortlessly break up chances and rarely making a poor decision when contributing offensively, Gormley’s steady play is an integral part of Moncton’s success. Though he is thought of as primarily a defense-first player, Gormley’s ability to read the play makes him a key part of the Wildcats power play as well.
While Fowler might make an immediate jump with the Ducks, it’s unclear how soon Gormley will make the big jump to the NHL level. That being said, he could be a big part of the Coyotes future, whether that future is in Phoenix or not.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)