Oct 8, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes signed their first round pick Brandon Gormley today, a player who went 13th overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Gormley followed Cam Fowler in the draft this year as an individual who seemed like a “blue chip” guy only to slip out of the top 10 picks. As usual, financial details weren’t available regarding the deal.
Here is a little more from the Coyotes.
Last season, the 6-foot-2, 195 pound defenseman played 58 regular season games with the Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) recording 43 points (9-34-43) and 54 penalty minutes. In two games with Moncton this season, Gormley has recorded five points (1-4-5).
“We are very pleased to sign Brandon,” said Maloney. “He is a talented young defenseman and we are confident that he will be a big part of our organization for years to come.”
Want to know a little more about Gormley’s potential? Take a look at Hockey’s Future.com’s talent analysis on Gormley.
Poised is the best way to describe this 18-year-old defenseman. Always making the safe play in his own zone to effortlessly break up chances and rarely making a poor decision when contributing offensively, Gormley’s steady play is an integral part of Moncton’s success. Though he is thought of as primarily a defense-first player, Gormley’s ability to read the play makes him a key part of the Wildcats power play as well.
While Fowler might make an immediate jump with the Ducks, it’s unclear how soon Gormley will make the big jump to the NHL level. That being said, he could be a big part of the Coyotes future, whether that future is in Phoenix or not.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8