Oct 8, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes signed their first round pick Brandon Gormley today, a player who went 13th overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Gormley followed Cam Fowler in the draft this year as an individual who seemed like a “blue chip” guy only to slip out of the top 10 picks. As usual, financial details weren’t available regarding the deal.
Here is a little more from the Coyotes.
Last season, the 6-foot-2, 195 pound defenseman played 58 regular season games with the Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL) recording 43 points (9-34-43) and 54 penalty minutes. In two games with Moncton this season, Gormley has recorded five points (1-4-5).
“We are very pleased to sign Brandon,” said Maloney. “He is a talented young defenseman and we are confident that he will be a big part of our organization for years to come.”
Want to know a little more about Gormley’s potential? Take a look at Hockey’s Future.com’s talent analysis on Gormley.
Poised is the best way to describe this 18-year-old defenseman. Always making the safe play in his own zone to effortlessly break up chances and rarely making a poor decision when contributing offensively, Gormley’s steady play is an integral part of Moncton’s success. Though he is thought of as primarily a defense-first player, Gormley’s ability to read the play makes him a key part of the Wildcats power play as well.
While Fowler might make an immediate jump with the Ducks, it’s unclear how soon Gormley will make the big jump to the NHL level. That being said, he could be a big part of the Coyotes future, whether that future is in Phoenix or not.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)