Oct 8, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
When you’re a four-time Lady Byng Trophy winner the way Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings is, going to the penalty box in any way is usually met with a raised eyebrow.
When you’re able to help lead your team to a 4-0 win over Anaheim with a goal and an assist, coming away with the infamous Gordie Howe hat trick is enough to make your jaw hit the floor. Seeing is believing.
As things go when playing the Anaheim Ducks, once the game was out of hand things got feisty. Ducks forward Corey Perry decided he’d had enough of Pavel Datsyuk’s stick handling and scoring and defensive wizardry and he decided he would test his pugilistic skills. Consider the task met and for Perry to have severe shame for not making mince-meat out of Datsyuk’s face.
As for the game, Ducks fans have to hope that tonight wasn’t a sign of things to come being shutout 4-0 by the Wings. The Ducks took numerous bad penalties, were out shot badly (43-21), and generally outplayed by Detroit. While Detroit is likely going to be a very good team this season, getting humbled this soundly right out of the gate doesn’t inspire good feelings.
As for Detroit, you can’t ask for a better start. Jimmy Howard stops 21 to get the shutout meanwhile the offense did their part getting goals from Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Mike Modano and Dan Cleary. The season is a marathon and not a sprint, but each team has a lot to learn from their first game.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 16
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 24
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 82
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT