Oct 8, 2010, 11:10 PM EDT
When you’re a four-time Lady Byng Trophy winner the way Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings is, going to the penalty box in any way is usually met with a raised eyebrow.
When you’re able to help lead your team to a 4-0 win over Anaheim with a goal and an assist, coming away with the infamous Gordie Howe hat trick is enough to make your jaw hit the floor. Seeing is believing.
As things go when playing the Anaheim Ducks, once the game was out of hand things got feisty. Ducks forward Corey Perry decided he’d had enough of Pavel Datsyuk’s stick handling and scoring and defensive wizardry and he decided he would test his pugilistic skills. Consider the task met and for Perry to have severe shame for not making mince-meat out of Datsyuk’s face.
As for the game, Ducks fans have to hope that tonight wasn’t a sign of things to come being shutout 4-0 by the Wings. The Ducks took numerous bad penalties, were out shot badly (43-21), and generally outplayed by Detroit. While Detroit is likely going to be a very good team this season, getting humbled this soundly right out of the gate doesn’t inspire good feelings.
As for Detroit, you can’t ask for a better start. Jimmy Howard stops 21 to get the shutout meanwhile the offense did their part getting goals from Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Mike Modano and Dan Cleary. The season is a marathon and not a sprint, but each team has a lot to learn from their first game.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 18
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery