Oct 8, 2010, 8:25 PM EDT
Consider the story book start written in Detroit. Michigan native Mike Modano making his season debut with the Detroit Red Wings playing at home in in Michigan scored a goal assisted by Dan Cleary and Brad Stuart to give Detroit a 2-0 lead on Anaheim in the first period.
Modano played for 20 seasons in the Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars organization scoring 557 goals as a Star. Getting goal #1 as a Red Wing back home in Michigan certainly will be special for Modano and bittersweet for Stars fans.
Update: And now, with video!
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)