Oct 8, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
For a franchise that owns zero Stanley Cups despite being in the league since 1967, the Los Angeles Kings need to occasionally distract their fans with shiny objects. Swanky jerseys are hockey’s version of shiny objects, so perhaps it makes sense that the Kings have featured a handful of stylish jersey options over the years.
Personally, I wish the team would go one step forward with their 09-10 third jerseys, which look tantalizingly close to the slick black and silver duds worn by Wayne Gretzky & Co. in the ’90s (see the comparison here), but that’s another discussion for another day.
Today’s discussion is over the Kings’ decision to sport their ravishing, regal purple jerseys from way back then for their home opener and three other nostalgia-laced home games this season. Take a look at the throwback uniforms, via the Kings.
The Kings hinted at the blast from the past when they gave their first round draft pick Derek Forbort the team’s all-gold version of that jersey when they selected him in the draft.
Kinda hurts the eyes a bit, eh? They would look like skating highlighters in those duds, so I’m glad the team’s going with purple instead for the retro fix.
Anyway, that’s some fairly exciting news for people with an unhealthy obsession uniforms such as myself. The Kings hope that they’ll make history during the 2010-11 season, but if nothing else, they’ll acknowledge history a few times at home.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)