Oct 8, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
For a franchise that owns zero Stanley Cups despite being in the league since 1967, the Los Angeles Kings need to occasionally distract their fans with shiny objects. Swanky jerseys are hockey’s version of shiny objects, so perhaps it makes sense that the Kings have featured a handful of stylish jersey options over the years.
Personally, I wish the team would go one step forward with their 09-10 third jerseys, which look tantalizingly close to the slick black and silver duds worn by Wayne Gretzky & Co. in the ’90s (see the comparison here), but that’s another discussion for another day.
Today’s discussion is over the Kings’ decision to sport their ravishing, regal purple jerseys from way back then for their home opener and three other nostalgia-laced home games this season. Take a look at the throwback uniforms, via the Kings.
The Kings hinted at the blast from the past when they gave their first round draft pick Derek Forbort the team’s all-gold version of that jersey when they selected him in the draft.
Kinda hurts the eyes a bit, eh? They would look like skating highlighters in those duds, so I’m glad the team’s going with purple instead for the retro fix.
Anyway, that’s some fairly exciting news for people with an unhealthy obsession uniforms such as myself. The Kings hope that they’ll make history during the 2010-11 season, but if nothing else, they’ll acknowledge history a few times at home.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 14
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)