Oct 8, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
For a franchise that owns zero Stanley Cups despite being in the league since 1967, the Los Angeles Kings need to occasionally distract their fans with shiny objects. Swanky jerseys are hockey’s version of shiny objects, so perhaps it makes sense that the Kings have featured a handful of stylish jersey options over the years.
Personally, I wish the team would go one step forward with their 09-10 third jerseys, which look tantalizingly close to the slick black and silver duds worn by Wayne Gretzky & Co. in the ’90s (see the comparison here), but that’s another discussion for another day.
Today’s discussion is over the Kings’ decision to sport their ravishing, regal purple jerseys from way back then for their home opener and three other nostalgia-laced home games this season. Take a look at the throwback uniforms, via the Kings.
The Kings hinted at the blast from the past when they gave their first round draft pick Derek Forbort the team’s all-gold version of that jersey when they selected him in the draft.
Kinda hurts the eyes a bit, eh? They would look like skating highlighters in those duds, so I’m glad the team’s going with purple instead for the retro fix.
Anyway, that’s some fairly exciting news for people with an unhealthy obsession uniforms such as myself. The Kings hope that they’ll make history during the 2010-11 season, but if nothing else, they’ll acknowledge history a few times at home.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5