Oct 8, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Last season, you might have been able to summarize the Edmonton Oilers’ many miseries simply by pointing to their record against the Calgary Flames in the so-called Battle of Alberta: 0-6. In the first time in the 29 years the two spirited rivals squared off, the Oil couldn’t manage a single “W.”
It’s easy to overreact to a single game of success (or failure), but one thing is certainly different from this season to last: the Oilers won’t be swept by the Flames again.
While the other two members of the Oilers “Big Three” (Taylor Hall and Magnus Paajarvi) were held off the scoreboard, Jordan Eberle scored what might have been the goal of the night while playing on the penalty kill. Take a look at this beauty of a goal in his NHL debut.
The Oilers reaped the rewards of their “old” young players, too, as Ales Hemsky celebrated his return from last year’s season-ending injury with a goal while Shawn Horcoff and Gilbert Brule also provided tallies for Edmonton. Ryan Whitney earned two assists in the game as well.
He might not be all the way out of his legal troubles, but for at least one night, Nikolai Khabibulin looked like the goalie worthy of the wacky contract the Oilers gave him. The troubled Russian stopped all 37 shots to earn an opening night shutout.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)