Oct 8, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Last night was great enough considering the fact that hockey season started, but I was stunned (and delighted) to see that two of my favorite things collided. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the best comedy on TV … that’s not on NBC, naturally) acknowledged the NHL’s opening night in its latest episode “Mac’s Big Break.”
The episode opens with Mac and Charlie calling into a Philadelphia radio show to answer a Flyers-related trivia question, with Mac somehow stumbling on “Reggie Leach,” the correct answer to the question: “Which player holds the team’s record for goals in one season?” Answering that question properly earned Mac the chance to enter a contest to win some sort of beach house party, but it was all about Mac’s quest to (more or less) learn how to play hockey.
As the episode goes on, Charlie teaches Mac how to play (handling the puck like a bowl of cream instead of brandishing the stick like a weapon) as the scenes eventually devolve into an obligatory montage. The show filmed some footage at Flyers games, moments that factor largely into a very funny dream sequence.
It’s Always Sunny focused on many great things in pop culture – from professional wrestling to “Rambo” – but seeing hockey get the “star” treatment was quite the treat. Surely FX will re-run the episode this weekend, so keep your eyes open if you want to see how the creators of the Green Man treat hockey.
(Screen capture via TV Squad.com and Patrick McElhenney of FX.)
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46