Oct 8, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Last night was great enough considering the fact that hockey season started, but I was stunned (and delighted) to see that two of my favorite things collided. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the best comedy on TV … that’s not on NBC, naturally) acknowledged the NHL’s opening night in its latest episode “Mac’s Big Break.”
The episode opens with Mac and Charlie calling into a Philadelphia radio show to answer a Flyers-related trivia question, with Mac somehow stumbling on “Reggie Leach,” the correct answer to the question: “Which player holds the team’s record for goals in one season?” Answering that question properly earned Mac the chance to enter a contest to win some sort of beach house party, but it was all about Mac’s quest to (more or less) learn how to play hockey.
As the episode goes on, Charlie teaches Mac how to play (handling the puck like a bowl of cream instead of brandishing the stick like a weapon) as the scenes eventually devolve into an obligatory montage. The show filmed some footage at Flyers games, moments that factor largely into a very funny dream sequence.
It’s Always Sunny focused on many great things in pop culture – from professional wrestling to “Rambo” – but seeing hockey get the “star” treatment was quite the treat. Surely FX will re-run the episode this weekend, so keep your eyes open if you want to see how the creators of the Green Man treat hockey.
(Screen capture via TV Squad.com and Patrick McElhenney of FX.)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)