Oct 8, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Last night was great enough considering the fact that hockey season started, but I was stunned (and delighted) to see that two of my favorite things collided. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the best comedy on TV … that’s not on NBC, naturally) acknowledged the NHL’s opening night in its latest episode “Mac’s Big Break.”
The episode opens with Mac and Charlie calling into a Philadelphia radio show to answer a Flyers-related trivia question, with Mac somehow stumbling on “Reggie Leach,” the correct answer to the question: “Which player holds the team’s record for goals in one season?” Answering that question properly earned Mac the chance to enter a contest to win some sort of beach house party, but it was all about Mac’s quest to (more or less) learn how to play hockey.
As the episode goes on, Charlie teaches Mac how to play (handling the puck like a bowl of cream instead of brandishing the stick like a weapon) as the scenes eventually devolve into an obligatory montage. The show filmed some footage at Flyers games, moments that factor largely into a very funny dream sequence.
It’s Always Sunny focused on many great things in pop culture – from professional wrestling to “Rambo” – but seeing hockey get the “star” treatment was quite the treat. Surely FX will re-run the episode this weekend, so keep your eyes open if you want to see how the creators of the Green Man treat hockey.
(Screen capture via TV Squad.com and Patrick McElhenney of FX.)
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 19
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 17
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)