Oct 8, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Last night was great enough considering the fact that hockey season started, but I was stunned (and delighted) to see that two of my favorite things collided. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the best comedy on TV … that’s not on NBC, naturally) acknowledged the NHL’s opening night in its latest episode “Mac’s Big Break.”
The episode opens with Mac and Charlie calling into a Philadelphia radio show to answer a Flyers-related trivia question, with Mac somehow stumbling on “Reggie Leach,” the correct answer to the question: “Which player holds the team’s record for goals in one season?” Answering that question properly earned Mac the chance to enter a contest to win some sort of beach house party, but it was all about Mac’s quest to (more or less) learn how to play hockey.
As the episode goes on, Charlie teaches Mac how to play (handling the puck like a bowl of cream instead of brandishing the stick like a weapon) as the scenes eventually devolve into an obligatory montage. The show filmed some footage at Flyers games, moments that factor largely into a very funny dream sequence.
It’s Always Sunny focused on many great things in pop culture – from professional wrestling to “Rambo” – but seeing hockey get the “star” treatment was quite the treat. Surely FX will re-run the episode this weekend, so keep your eyes open if you want to see how the creators of the Green Man treat hockey.
(Screen capture via TV Squad.com and Patrick McElhenney of FX.)
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)