Oct 8, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Last night was great enough considering the fact that hockey season started, but I was stunned (and delighted) to see that two of my favorite things collided. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (the best comedy on TV … that’s not on NBC, naturally) acknowledged the NHL’s opening night in its latest episode “Mac’s Big Break.”
The episode opens with Mac and Charlie calling into a Philadelphia radio show to answer a Flyers-related trivia question, with Mac somehow stumbling on “Reggie Leach,” the correct answer to the question: “Which player holds the team’s record for goals in one season?” Answering that question properly earned Mac the chance to enter a contest to win some sort of beach house party, but it was all about Mac’s quest to (more or less) learn how to play hockey.
As the episode goes on, Charlie teaches Mac how to play (handling the puck like a bowl of cream instead of brandishing the stick like a weapon) as the scenes eventually devolve into an obligatory montage. The show filmed some footage at Flyers games, moments that factor largely into a very funny dream sequence.
It’s Always Sunny focused on many great things in pop culture – from professional wrestling to “Rambo” – but seeing hockey get the “star” treatment was quite the treat. Surely FX will re-run the episode this weekend, so keep your eyes open if you want to see how the creators of the Green Man treat hockey.
(Screen capture via TV Squad.com and Patrick McElhenney of FX.)
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)