Oct 8, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
What was ultimately a great start for the Devils top line of Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, and Zach Parise turned into an uncharacteristic game of firewagon hockey between the Devils and Stars ending in a Devils 4-3 overtime loss at home.
Kovalchuk assisted on New Jersey’s first two goals to his linemates Zajac and Parise but the Stars kept battling back much in thanks to Loui Eriksson. Eriksson got the Stars first goal to cut the lead to 2-1 early, and then scored again in overtime to give the Stars the win. Here’s video of the game-winner.
For the Devils, it’s a huge letdown in the home opener to squander multiple leads and ultimately lose in overtime. On the bright side of things, the Devils top two lines saw the production they’ll be counting on all year long. Jason Arnott had the Devils’ third goal, a power play tally.
Meanwhile, Dallas got over a shaky start from goalie Kari Lehtonen and got goals from Brenden Morrow and James Neal. With everyone having their big players coming through, it’s an encouraging start for both teams in their own way.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31