Oct 8, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
What was ultimately a great start for the Devils top line of Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, and Zach Parise turned into an uncharacteristic game of firewagon hockey between the Devils and Stars ending in a Devils 4-3 overtime loss at home.
Kovalchuk assisted on New Jersey’s first two goals to his linemates Zajac and Parise but the Stars kept battling back much in thanks to Loui Eriksson. Eriksson got the Stars first goal to cut the lead to 2-1 early, and then scored again in overtime to give the Stars the win. Here’s video of the game-winner.
For the Devils, it’s a huge letdown in the home opener to squander multiple leads and ultimately lose in overtime. On the bright side of things, the Devils top two lines saw the production they’ll be counting on all year long. Jason Arnott had the Devils’ third goal, a power play tally.
Meanwhile, Dallas got over a shaky start from goalie Kari Lehtonen and got goals from Brenden Morrow and James Neal. With everyone having their big players coming through, it’s an encouraging start for both teams in their own way.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)