Oct 8, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
What was ultimately a great start for the Devils top line of Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, and Zach Parise turned into an uncharacteristic game of firewagon hockey between the Devils and Stars ending in a Devils 4-3 overtime loss at home.
Kovalchuk assisted on New Jersey’s first two goals to his linemates Zajac and Parise but the Stars kept battling back much in thanks to Loui Eriksson. Eriksson got the Stars first goal to cut the lead to 2-1 early, and then scored again in overtime to give the Stars the win. Here’s video of the game-winner.
For the Devils, it’s a huge letdown in the home opener to squander multiple leads and ultimately lose in overtime. On the bright side of things, the Devils top two lines saw the production they’ll be counting on all year long. Jason Arnott had the Devils’ third goal, a power play tally.
Meanwhile, Dallas got over a shaky start from goalie Kari Lehtonen and got goals from Brenden Morrow and James Neal. With everyone having their big players coming through, it’s an encouraging start for both teams in their own way.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)