Oct 8, 2010, 10:06 PM EDT
What was ultimately a great start for the Devils top line of Ilya Kovalchuk, Travis Zajac, and Zach Parise turned into an uncharacteristic game of firewagon hockey between the Devils and Stars ending in a Devils 4-3 overtime loss at home.
Kovalchuk assisted on New Jersey’s first two goals to his linemates Zajac and Parise but the Stars kept battling back much in thanks to Loui Eriksson. Eriksson got the Stars first goal to cut the lead to 2-1 early, and then scored again in overtime to give the Stars the win. Here’s video of the game-winner.
For the Devils, it’s a huge letdown in the home opener to squander multiple leads and ultimately lose in overtime. On the bright side of things, the Devils top two lines saw the production they’ll be counting on all year long. Jason Arnott had the Devils’ third goal, a power play tally.
Meanwhile, Dallas got over a shaky start from goalie Kari Lehtonen and got goals from Brenden Morrow and James Neal. With everyone having their big players coming through, it’s an encouraging start for both teams in their own way.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17