Oct 8, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Last year, the Colorado Avalanche beat the San Jose Sharks 5-2 and looked impressive. Not only did their speed and Craig Anderson’s solid goaltending keep them in the game, but it didn’t really seem like an accident.That red-hot opener spurred the Avalanche to a quick start that helped the team qualify for the playoffs to the surprise of just about everyone.
Tonight’s game shares some similar traits with that opener. For one thing, it was (in my opinion) the most exciting game of the night. I also half-expected the Blackhawks to dominate the game, especially since they received the game’s first four powerplays.
Yet the Avalanche did more than keep up with Chicago: they beat them convincingly.
Paul Stastny scored two goals including the game-winner in overtime while Matt Duchene, Chris Stewart, Marian Hossa and Patrick Sharp all provided a goal and an assist. Both goalies provided moments of brilliance, as Marty Turco stopped 37 out of 41 shots while Anderson turned away 35 out of 38.
After Colorado knocked on the door multiple times during Chicago’s early power plays, Stewart finally beat Turco on an odd-man rush right after one of the Blackhawks’ man advantages expired. Here’s a video of that goal.
It’s almost as if Stewart said “enough is enough” on that goal, exploiting Turco’s poke check for a big goal.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)