Oct 8, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
Last year, the Colorado Avalanche beat the San Jose Sharks 5-2 and looked impressive. Not only did their speed and Craig Anderson’s solid goaltending keep them in the game, but it didn’t really seem like an accident.That red-hot opener spurred the Avalanche to a quick start that helped the team qualify for the playoffs to the surprise of just about everyone.
Tonight’s game shares some similar traits with that opener. For one thing, it was (in my opinion) the most exciting game of the night. I also half-expected the Blackhawks to dominate the game, especially since they received the game’s first four powerplays.
Yet the Avalanche did more than keep up with Chicago: they beat them convincingly.
Paul Stastny scored two goals including the game-winner in overtime while Matt Duchene, Chris Stewart, Marian Hossa and Patrick Sharp all provided a goal and an assist. Both goalies provided moments of brilliance, as Marty Turco stopped 37 out of 41 shots while Anderson turned away 35 out of 38.
After Colorado knocked on the door multiple times during Chicago’s early power plays, Stewart finally beat Turco on an odd-man rush right after one of the Blackhawks’ man advantages expired. Here’s a video of that goal.
It’s almost as if Stewart said “enough is enough” on that goal, exploiting Turco’s poke check for a big goal.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)