Oct 8, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
Last year, the Colorado Avalanche beat the San Jose Sharks 5-2 and looked impressive. Not only did their speed and Craig Anderson’s solid goaltending keep them in the game, but it didn’t really seem like an accident.That red-hot opener spurred the Avalanche to a quick start that helped the team qualify for the playoffs to the surprise of just about everyone.
Tonight’s game shares some similar traits with that opener. For one thing, it was (in my opinion) the most exciting game of the night. I also half-expected the Blackhawks to dominate the game, especially since they received the game’s first four powerplays.
Yet the Avalanche did more than keep up with Chicago: they beat them convincingly.
Paul Stastny scored two goals including the game-winner in overtime while Matt Duchene, Chris Stewart, Marian Hossa and Patrick Sharp all provided a goal and an assist. Both goalies provided moments of brilliance, as Marty Turco stopped 37 out of 41 shots while Anderson turned away 35 out of 38.
After Colorado knocked on the door multiple times during Chicago’s early power plays, Stewart finally beat Turco on an odd-man rush right after one of the Blackhawks’ man advantages expired. Here’s a video of that goal.
It’s almost as if Stewart said “enough is enough” on that goal, exploiting Turco’s poke check for a big goal.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)