Oct 7, 2010, 3:55 PM EST
Sure the Minnesota Wild lost today’s NHL season opener against the Carolina Hurricanes, but if nothing else, they came away the winners in the highlight department. Starting things off, literally, was Guillaume Latendresse scoring the NHL’s first goal of the season.
As if that wasn’t enough, halfway through the third period Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom comes up with our first candidate for save of the day robbing Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner of his first NHL goal with an incredible stick save.
Now if the Wild can tighten things up with the penalties and defensively, they might be in business. The Hurricanes, meanwhile, looked fast and somewhat dangerous at times. Not bad for the first game out of the box.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)