Oct 7, 2010, 3:55 PM EDT
Sure the Minnesota Wild lost today’s NHL season opener against the Carolina Hurricanes, but if nothing else, they came away the winners in the highlight department. Starting things off, literally, was Guillaume Latendresse scoring the NHL’s first goal of the season.
As if that wasn’t enough, halfway through the third period Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom comes up with our first candidate for save of the day robbing Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner of his first NHL goal with an incredible stick save.
Now if the Wild can tighten things up with the penalties and defensively, they might be in business. The Hurricanes, meanwhile, looked fast and somewhat dangerous at times. Not bad for the first game out of the box.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39