Oct 7, 2010, 3:55 PM EDT
Sure the Minnesota Wild lost today’s NHL season opener against the Carolina Hurricanes, but if nothing else, they came away the winners in the highlight department. Starting things off, literally, was Guillaume Latendresse scoring the NHL’s first goal of the season.
As if that wasn’t enough, halfway through the third period Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom comes up with our first candidate for save of the day robbing Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner of his first NHL goal with an incredible stick save.
Now if the Wild can tighten things up with the penalties and defensively, they might be in business. The Hurricanes, meanwhile, looked fast and somewhat dangerous at times. Not bad for the first game out of the box.
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 5
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 6
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 32
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)