Oct 7, 2010, 3:55 PM EST
Sure the Minnesota Wild lost today’s NHL season opener against the Carolina Hurricanes, but if nothing else, they came away the winners in the highlight department. Starting things off, literally, was Guillaume Latendresse scoring the NHL’s first goal of the season.
As if that wasn’t enough, halfway through the third period Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom comes up with our first candidate for save of the day robbing Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner of his first NHL goal with an incredible stick save.
Now if the Wild can tighten things up with the penalties and defensively, they might be in business. The Hurricanes, meanwhile, looked fast and somewhat dangerous at times. Not bad for the first game out of the box.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12