Oct 7, 2010, 3:55 PM EST
Sure the Minnesota Wild lost today’s NHL season opener against the Carolina Hurricanes, but if nothing else, they came away the winners in the highlight department. Starting things off, literally, was Guillaume Latendresse scoring the NHL’s first goal of the season.
As if that wasn’t enough, halfway through the third period Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom comes up with our first candidate for save of the day robbing Hurricanes rookie Jeff Skinner of his first NHL goal with an incredible stick save.
Now if the Wild can tighten things up with the penalties and defensively, they might be in business. The Hurricanes, meanwhile, looked fast and somewhat dangerous at times. Not bad for the first game out of the box.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)