Oct 7, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be an official hockey day without the Panthers and Canucks swinging a trade.
Earlier in the off-season, the Panthers and Canucks got together on the deal that sent Keith Ballard to Vancouver in exchange for Michael Grabner and Steve Bernier. Yesterday, the teams got together to swing a deal exchanging enforcers with the Panthers getting Darcy Hordichuk from Vancouver in exchange for Andrew Peters.
Today, the Canucks add another depth defenseman in Nathan Paetsch. In return, the Panthers get 23 year-old minor league defenseman Sean Zimmerman.
Paetsch was put on waivers by the Panthers and was likely on his way to Rochester. Now, he’s probably on his way to Winnipeg, Manitoba instead to join the Canucks AHL team there. Zimmerman was unremarkable in training camp with Vancouver and will now get another chance to do something with the Rochester Americans, the Panthers farm team in the AHL.
With this being the third trade Canucks GM Mike Gillis and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have pulled off, you have to wonder if they’ve just got their own version of the Bat Phone set up in order to help each other out with transactions. Then again, maybe it’s all making amends for Pavel Bure being traded to Florida from Vancouver years ago.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)