Oct 7, 2010, 5:29 PM EST
It wouldn’t be an official hockey day without the Panthers and Canucks swinging a trade.
Earlier in the off-season, the Panthers and Canucks got together on the deal that sent Keith Ballard to Vancouver in exchange for Michael Grabner and Steve Bernier. Yesterday, the teams got together to swing a deal exchanging enforcers with the Panthers getting Darcy Hordichuk from Vancouver in exchange for Andrew Peters.
Today, the Canucks add another depth defenseman in Nathan Paetsch. In return, the Panthers get 23 year-old minor league defenseman Sean Zimmerman.
Paetsch was put on waivers by the Panthers and was likely on his way to Rochester. Now, he’s probably on his way to Winnipeg, Manitoba instead to join the Canucks AHL team there. Zimmerman was unremarkable in training camp with Vancouver and will now get another chance to do something with the Rochester Americans, the Panthers farm team in the AHL.
With this being the third trade Canucks GM Mike Gillis and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have pulled off, you have to wonder if they’ve just got their own version of the Bat Phone set up in order to help each other out with transactions. Then again, maybe it’s all making amends for Pavel Bure being traded to Florida from Vancouver years ago.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11