Oct 7, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be an official hockey day without the Panthers and Canucks swinging a trade.
Earlier in the off-season, the Panthers and Canucks got together on the deal that sent Keith Ballard to Vancouver in exchange for Michael Grabner and Steve Bernier. Yesterday, the teams got together to swing a deal exchanging enforcers with the Panthers getting Darcy Hordichuk from Vancouver in exchange for Andrew Peters.
Today, the Canucks add another depth defenseman in Nathan Paetsch. In return, the Panthers get 23 year-old minor league defenseman Sean Zimmerman.
Paetsch was put on waivers by the Panthers and was likely on his way to Rochester. Now, he’s probably on his way to Winnipeg, Manitoba instead to join the Canucks AHL team there. Zimmerman was unremarkable in training camp with Vancouver and will now get another chance to do something with the Rochester Americans, the Panthers farm team in the AHL.
With this being the third trade Canucks GM Mike Gillis and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have pulled off, you have to wonder if they’ve just got their own version of the Bat Phone set up in order to help each other out with transactions. Then again, maybe it’s all making amends for Pavel Bure being traded to Florida from Vancouver years ago.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)