Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
f you were thinking the Boston Bruins needed to get a little bit tougher this year, you might not have to worry about that much longer. Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston has the low down with the Bruins on the verge of signing enforcer Brian McGrattan.
According to a team source, the Boston Bruins have agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract with forward Brian McGrattan, who was on a professional tryout with the team in training camp. Financial terms of the deal were not known yet but it is believed that McGrattan will be paid an AHL salary of $105,000 to prevent him from having to go through re-entry waivers.
I’d say that McGrattan will be a specially used enforcer while he’s in the NHL getting to suit up against the likes of Philadelphia and Toronto when you need to roll more than one deep with punchers. Otherwise, McGrattan is likely to spend more time in the press box or in Providence in the AHL than anything else. McGrattan holds the AHL record for most penalty minutes in a season with 551 in 2004-2005 with the Binghamton Senators.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)