Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
f you were thinking the Boston Bruins needed to get a little bit tougher this year, you might not have to worry about that much longer. Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston has the low down with the Bruins on the verge of signing enforcer Brian McGrattan.
According to a team source, the Boston Bruins have agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract with forward Brian McGrattan, who was on a professional tryout with the team in training camp. Financial terms of the deal were not known yet but it is believed that McGrattan will be paid an AHL salary of $105,000 to prevent him from having to go through re-entry waivers.
I’d say that McGrattan will be a specially used enforcer while he’s in the NHL getting to suit up against the likes of Philadelphia and Toronto when you need to roll more than one deep with punchers. Otherwise, McGrattan is likely to spend more time in the press box or in Providence in the AHL than anything else. McGrattan holds the AHL record for most penalty minutes in a season with 551 in 2004-2005 with the Binghamton Senators.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)