Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
f you were thinking the Boston Bruins needed to get a little bit tougher this year, you might not have to worry about that much longer. Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston has the low down with the Bruins on the verge of signing enforcer Brian McGrattan.
According to a team source, the Boston Bruins have agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract with forward Brian McGrattan, who was on a professional tryout with the team in training camp. Financial terms of the deal were not known yet but it is believed that McGrattan will be paid an AHL salary of $105,000 to prevent him from having to go through re-entry waivers.
I’d say that McGrattan will be a specially used enforcer while he’s in the NHL getting to suit up against the likes of Philadelphia and Toronto when you need to roll more than one deep with punchers. Otherwise, McGrattan is likely to spend more time in the press box or in Providence in the AHL than anything else. McGrattan holds the AHL record for most penalty minutes in a season with 551 in 2004-2005 with the Binghamton Senators.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (82)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)