Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
f you were thinking the Boston Bruins needed to get a little bit tougher this year, you might not have to worry about that much longer. Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston has the low down with the Bruins on the verge of signing enforcer Brian McGrattan.
According to a team source, the Boston Bruins have agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract with forward Brian McGrattan, who was on a professional tryout with the team in training camp. Financial terms of the deal were not known yet but it is believed that McGrattan will be paid an AHL salary of $105,000 to prevent him from having to go through re-entry waivers.
I’d say that McGrattan will be a specially used enforcer while he’s in the NHL getting to suit up against the likes of Philadelphia and Toronto when you need to roll more than one deep with punchers. Otherwise, McGrattan is likely to spend more time in the press box or in Providence in the AHL than anything else. McGrattan holds the AHL record for most penalty minutes in a season with 551 in 2004-2005 with the Binghamton Senators.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)