Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
f you were thinking the Boston Bruins needed to get a little bit tougher this year, you might not have to worry about that much longer. Jimmy Murphy of ESPN Boston has the low down with the Bruins on the verge of signing enforcer Brian McGrattan.
According to a team source, the Boston Bruins have agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract with forward Brian McGrattan, who was on a professional tryout with the team in training camp. Financial terms of the deal were not known yet but it is believed that McGrattan will be paid an AHL salary of $105,000 to prevent him from having to go through re-entry waivers.
I’d say that McGrattan will be a specially used enforcer while he’s in the NHL getting to suit up against the likes of Philadelphia and Toronto when you need to roll more than one deep with punchers. Otherwise, McGrattan is likely to spend more time in the press box or in Providence in the AHL than anything else. McGrattan holds the AHL record for most penalty minutes in a season with 551 in 2004-2005 with the Binghamton Senators.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)