Oct 7, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
They waited until the official start of the new season to do it, but the San Jose Sharks have named a team captain. Unsurprisingly, it’s a guy a lot of folks counted on being the front-runner for the position in Joe Thornton. As for the rest of the captain’s crew, David Pollak of Working The Corners fills us in on who they are and the thought process behind naming Thornton captain.
Beyond that, Todd McLellan announced that Dan Boyle will have a “permanent ‘A’ and Patrick Marleau and Ryane Clowe would rotate as the second assistant — Marleau at home games, Clowe on the road.
McLellan indicated the choice came down to two very strong candidates, and, yes, it was clear Boyle was the other. And, yes, there was a conscious decision to pair Thornton’s more easy-going style with Boyle, who can be more intense.
Joe Thornton was a captain once before in his career as a young, up and coming star in Boston. Things there didn’t exactly turn out well. Also not reflecting well on Thornton is his seeming knack to end up not winning in the playoffs, something folks have an easy time reminding us about. Getting Boyle to be the permanent alternate captain is a solid move for the team and a lot of people were thinking he’d end up with the “C” but it wasn’t in the cards for Boyle.
The guy we’re surprised to see not get a letter is none other than Joe Pavelski. Pavelski stepped up during last year’s playoffs in a big way for the Sharks, helping lead the team past both Colorado and Detroit on the way to the Western Conference finals. It seemed like a natural move to at least get Pavelski an “A” but clearly we don’t know much of anything here apparently.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)