Oct 7, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
They waited until the official start of the new season to do it, but the San Jose Sharks have named a team captain. Unsurprisingly, it’s a guy a lot of folks counted on being the front-runner for the position in Joe Thornton. As for the rest of the captain’s crew, David Pollak of Working The Corners fills us in on who they are and the thought process behind naming Thornton captain.
Beyond that, Todd McLellan announced that Dan Boyle will have a “permanent ‘A’ and Patrick Marleau and Ryane Clowe would rotate as the second assistant — Marleau at home games, Clowe on the road.
McLellan indicated the choice came down to two very strong candidates, and, yes, it was clear Boyle was the other. And, yes, there was a conscious decision to pair Thornton’s more easy-going style with Boyle, who can be more intense.
Joe Thornton was a captain once before in his career as a young, up and coming star in Boston. Things there didn’t exactly turn out well. Also not reflecting well on Thornton is his seeming knack to end up not winning in the playoffs, something folks have an easy time reminding us about. Getting Boyle to be the permanent alternate captain is a solid move for the team and a lot of people were thinking he’d end up with the “C” but it wasn’t in the cards for Boyle.
The guy we’re surprised to see not get a letter is none other than Joe Pavelski. Pavelski stepped up during last year’s playoffs in a big way for the Sharks, helping lead the team past both Colorado and Detroit on the way to the Western Conference finals. It seemed like a natural move to at least get Pavelski an “A” but clearly we don’t know much of anything here apparently.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)