Oct 7, 2010, 12:55 PM EDT
The beginning of the Ottawa Senators season may be off to a bumpy start. Sens star forward Jason Spezza left practice yesterday with a groin injury and didn’t skate with the team today. His status is in doubt for tomorrow night’s season opener in Ottawa against the Buffalo Sabres.
Spezza had a rocky off-season with the Senators after dealing with his own hurt feelings as well as trade suspicion. All of that has been put aside, but getting his season started off like this certainly won’t do much to keep the hometown fans pleased or quiet.
If Spezza can’t start, Danish center Peter Regin could get the call to be the pivot on that line with Daniel Alfredsson and Milan Michalek. Mike Fisher would likely stay on the second line with Alex Kovalev and Nick Foligno to give the Senators a more balanced attack.
(Photo: Greg Fiume – Getty Images)
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22