Oct 7, 2010, 12:55 PM EDT
The beginning of the Ottawa Senators season may be off to a bumpy start. Sens star forward Jason Spezza left practice yesterday with a groin injury and didn’t skate with the team today. His status is in doubt for tomorrow night’s season opener in Ottawa against the Buffalo Sabres.
Spezza had a rocky off-season with the Senators after dealing with his own hurt feelings as well as trade suspicion. All of that has been put aside, but getting his season started off like this certainly won’t do much to keep the hometown fans pleased or quiet.
If Spezza can’t start, Danish center Peter Regin could get the call to be the pivot on that line with Daniel Alfredsson and Milan Michalek. Mike Fisher would likely stay on the second line with Alex Kovalev and Nick Foligno to give the Senators a more balanced attack.
(Photo: Greg Fiume – Getty Images)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)