Oct 7, 2010, 12:55 PM EST
The beginning of the Ottawa Senators season may be off to a bumpy start. Sens star forward Jason Spezza left practice yesterday with a groin injury and didn’t skate with the team today. His status is in doubt for tomorrow night’s season opener in Ottawa against the Buffalo Sabres.
Spezza had a rocky off-season with the Senators after dealing with his own hurt feelings as well as trade suspicion. All of that has been put aside, but getting his season started off like this certainly won’t do much to keep the hometown fans pleased or quiet.
If Spezza can’t start, Danish center Peter Regin could get the call to be the pivot on that line with Daniel Alfredsson and Milan Michalek. Mike Fisher would likely stay on the second line with Alex Kovalev and Nick Foligno to give the Senators a more balanced attack.
(Photo: Greg Fiume – Getty Images)
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 12
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2