Oct 7, 2010, 3:37 PM EDT
The Hurricanes started off the NHL season just the way they drew it up getting a 4-3 win over the Minnesota Wild. The Hurricanes were fast, often outskated the Wild, and ultimately used that hustle to earn the win. Newly anointed alternate captain Brandon Sutter had two goals for the Hurricanes while Cam Ward stopped 26 shots in the win. Finnish countryman Jussi Jokinen and on-again, off-again defenseman Anton Babchuk also scored for Carolina.
Things weren’t all bad for the Wild. Guillaume Latendresse scored the first goal of the NHL season and gave the Wild an early 1-0 lead. They got a solid game out of new acquisition and former Hurricane Matt Cullen who had a goal and an assist.
On the downside, Wild defensemen Cam Barker and Nick Schultz had games they’d much rather not think about. Barker had two penalties that lead to power play goals for the Hurricanes, meanwhile Nick Schultz was on the ice for all four Hurricanes goals. Niklas Backstrom did his part to try and help the team by stopping 27 shots, including a sick goalstick paddle stop on Carolina rookie Jeff Skinner.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)