Oct 7, 2010, 3:37 PM EDT
The Hurricanes started off the NHL season just the way they drew it up getting a 4-3 win over the Minnesota Wild. The Hurricanes were fast, often outskated the Wild, and ultimately used that hustle to earn the win. Newly anointed alternate captain Brandon Sutter had two goals for the Hurricanes while Cam Ward stopped 26 shots in the win. Finnish countryman Jussi Jokinen and on-again, off-again defenseman Anton Babchuk also scored for Carolina.
Things weren’t all bad for the Wild. Guillaume Latendresse scored the first goal of the NHL season and gave the Wild an early 1-0 lead. They got a solid game out of new acquisition and former Hurricane Matt Cullen who had a goal and an assist.
On the downside, Wild defensemen Cam Barker and Nick Schultz had games they’d much rather not think about. Barker had two penalties that lead to power play goals for the Hurricanes, meanwhile Nick Schultz was on the ice for all four Hurricanes goals. Niklas Backstrom did his part to try and help the team by stopping 27 shots, including a sick goalstick paddle stop on Carolina rookie Jeff Skinner.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)