Oct 7, 2010, 3:37 PM EST
The Hurricanes started off the NHL season just the way they drew it up getting a 4-3 win over the Minnesota Wild. The Hurricanes were fast, often outskated the Wild, and ultimately used that hustle to earn the win. Newly anointed alternate captain Brandon Sutter had two goals for the Hurricanes while Cam Ward stopped 26 shots in the win. Finnish countryman Jussi Jokinen and on-again, off-again defenseman Anton Babchuk also scored for Carolina.
Things weren’t all bad for the Wild. Guillaume Latendresse scored the first goal of the NHL season and gave the Wild an early 1-0 lead. They got a solid game out of new acquisition and former Hurricane Matt Cullen who had a goal and an assist.
On the downside, Wild defensemen Cam Barker and Nick Schultz had games they’d much rather not think about. Barker had two penalties that lead to power play goals for the Hurricanes, meanwhile Nick Schultz was on the ice for all four Hurricanes goals. Niklas Backstrom did his part to try and help the team by stopping 27 shots, including a sick goalstick paddle stop on Carolina rookie Jeff Skinner.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)