Oct 7, 2010, 12:22 PM EST
In a surprise move, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette announced that Brian Boucher won’t get the start tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins and will instead run with rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to start tonight. If it seems like a stunning move, it is to a degree, but Bobrovsky played very well in preseason for Philly as the Flyers official PR blog notes.
Bobrovsky led the team in preseason action, appearing in five games and posting a 3-0-1 mark to go along with a 1.76 goals-against average and .939 save percentage in 205 minutes of play, allowing six goals on 98 shots.
Starting a rookie in preseason to see what he’s about is one thing, starting him on the road in Pittsburgh as they open a new arena with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to deal with is another thing entirely. That’s one hell of a fire to be thrown into.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)