Oct 7, 2010, 12:22 PM EST
In a surprise move, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette announced that Brian Boucher won’t get the start tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins and will instead run with rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to start tonight. If it seems like a stunning move, it is to a degree, but Bobrovsky played very well in preseason for Philly as the Flyers official PR blog notes.
Bobrovsky led the team in preseason action, appearing in five games and posting a 3-0-1 mark to go along with a 1.76 goals-against average and .939 save percentage in 205 minutes of play, allowing six goals on 98 shots.
Starting a rookie in preseason to see what he’s about is one thing, starting him on the road in Pittsburgh as they open a new arena with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to deal with is another thing entirely. That’s one hell of a fire to be thrown into.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11