Oct 7, 2010, 12:22 PM EDT
In a surprise move, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette announced that Brian Boucher won’t get the start tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins and will instead run with rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to start tonight. If it seems like a stunning move, it is to a degree, but Bobrovsky played very well in preseason for Philly as the Flyers official PR blog notes.
Bobrovsky led the team in preseason action, appearing in five games and posting a 3-0-1 mark to go along with a 1.76 goals-against average and .939 save percentage in 205 minutes of play, allowing six goals on 98 shots.
Starting a rookie in preseason to see what he’s about is one thing, starting him on the road in Pittsburgh as they open a new arena with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to deal with is another thing entirely. That’s one hell of a fire to be thrown into.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)