Oct 7, 2010, 12:22 PM EST
In a surprise move, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette announced that Brian Boucher won’t get the start tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins and will instead run with rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to start tonight. If it seems like a stunning move, it is to a degree, but Bobrovsky played very well in preseason for Philly as the Flyers official PR blog notes.
Bobrovsky led the team in preseason action, appearing in five games and posting a 3-0-1 mark to go along with a 1.76 goals-against average and .939 save percentage in 205 minutes of play, allowing six goals on 98 shots.
Starting a rookie in preseason to see what he’s about is one thing, starting him on the road in Pittsburgh as they open a new arena with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to deal with is another thing entirely. That’s one hell of a fire to be thrown into.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)