Oct 7, 2010, 12:22 PM EDT
In a surprise move, Flyers coach Peter Laviolette announced that Brian Boucher won’t get the start tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins and will instead run with rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to start tonight. If it seems like a stunning move, it is to a degree, but Bobrovsky played very well in preseason for Philly as the Flyers official PR blog notes.
Bobrovsky led the team in preseason action, appearing in five games and posting a 3-0-1 mark to go along with a 1.76 goals-against average and .939 save percentage in 205 minutes of play, allowing six goals on 98 shots.
Starting a rookie in preseason to see what he’s about is one thing, starting him on the road in Pittsburgh as they open a new arena with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to deal with is another thing entirely. That’s one hell of a fire to be thrown into.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15