Oct 7, 2010, 6:14 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames preparation for the regular season and tonight’s opener against the Edmonton Oilers comes with a few interesting quirks. That is, quirks aside from the ones that brought both Olli Jokinen and Alex Tanguay back to town.
The Flames lineup juggling for tonight with the host of injuries the team has dealt with as well as having young players step up in a big way in camp have added a little spice to tonight’s game. Scott Cruickshank of Flames Insider has the details.
For instance, C Brett Sutter — goes on waivers, clears waivers, is demoted to AHL Abbotsford, is recalled, and is now in the lineup tonight in Edmonton.
Sutter’s summoning is the result of LW Ales Kotalik (knee) being put on the long-term injury list.
Still, there’s more.
It appears that veterans D Cory Sarich (32 years old, 749 games, $3.6 million), D Steve Staios (37 years old, 897 games, $2.7 million) and C Craig Conroy (39 years old, 991 games, $500,000) are not playing. Yes, $6.3 million worth of healthy blue-liner is in the press box.
The three oldsters were subject to a brief sermon from coach Brent Sutter at the tail end of the morning skate.
In their places go the spry trio of Sutter, D T.J. Brodie and D Adam Pardy.
Kotalik going on LTIR is just added salary relief for the Flames who are already without Matthew Stajan and Daymond Langkow. Crafty lineup juggling and cap management are all part of the game in the NHL these days. Of course, some are going to spin this as a case of the veterans getting benched and breaking out the doom-and-gloom alarm for the Flames.
Maybe it’s just a situation where coach Brent Sutter wants to set the example for the new guys getting the trial by fire (get it – they’re the Flames!) especially when for both Brett Sutter and T.J. Brodie they’ll be getting their first taste of NHL action.
Either way, for a team that’s got cap issues, sitting down two high-priced guys even for a game has to make GM Daryl Sutter get even grumpier about the state of his team. Considering Daryl Sutter’s normal state of being, him being even more grumpy is a scary proposition.
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 26
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 37
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 8
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)