Oct 6, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
What happens when your career or life goes just short of full circle?
Jonathan Cheechoo knows how that feels, as the 30-year-old winger will return to the Sharks … only this time, he’ll be suiting up in Worcester instead of San Jose. Here is the story from Bill Ballou.
Jonathan Cheechoo, with 170 NHL goals on his résumé, is expected to join the Sharks today.
That’s the AHL Sharks – the ones who play their home games at the DCU Center.
Cheechoo, a 30-year-old right wing, will be signed to a pro tryout by Worcester, returning to the organization with which he began his pro career. Cheechoo’s first pro coach was Roy Sommer, now Worcester’s head coach who had him in 2000-01 with the Kentucky Thoroughblades, which at that time was San Jose’s AHL affiliate. From there, Cheechoo eventually made it up to the NHL Sharks, where his career peaked in 2005-06 with a 56-goal performance.
Since then, his production has slipped every year. Cheechoo was traded to Ottawa after the just before the 2009-10 season and by the end of last year, he was playing for the Senators’ AHL team in Binghamton. He went 8-6-14 in 25 games down there. Dallas had Cheechoo in training camp, but released him Sept. 25.
Cheechoo joins Kyle McLaren and Claude Lemieux as notable pro-level players who spent at least some time in Worcester, while Ballou points out that the closest parallel might be Gary Leeman. Leeman was a former 51-goal scorer who flamed out in the NHL before … flaming out in Worcester.
Deep down, the hope is that Cheechoo plays well enough to make an impact for the “real” Sharks. Still, that moment is a long way away for both parties, so we’ll see how he does. Best of luck to him as he gets his final opportunity (or opportunities?) to revive his professional career.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)