Oct 6, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Sheldon Souray is such an unpopular guy within the Edmonton Oilers organization, they don’t even want him to play for their minor league affiliate. Rather than having skate with the Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL, the Oilers reportedly “loaned” him to the Washington Capitals’ affiliate the Hershey Bears according to Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman.
Several reports indicate Sheldon Souray going to AHL Hershey, Washington’s farm team
This is basically the reverse of the Michael Nylander situation, as the Capitals front office sent Nylander to play for a different AHL team.
Souray’s outlook is still unclear. I’m not certain if the Oilers can still trade him now that he’s loaned to a different AHL squad, but while he isn’t making the same kind of money as fellow demoted defenseman Wade Redden, the two years remaining on his contract make him a little tougher to deal if Edmonton is allowed to do so.
Highly paid NHL players should probably take notice of these types of situations. If you don’t produce (like Redden or exiled goalie Cristobal Huet) or behave (like Souray), you might become one of the highest paid minor league hockey players ever. Quite the cautionary tale in this strange salary cap age, I’d say.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)