Oct 6, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Sheldon Souray is such an unpopular guy within the Edmonton Oilers organization, they don’t even want him to play for their minor league affiliate. Rather than having skate with the Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL, the Oilers reportedly “loaned” him to the Washington Capitals’ affiliate the Hershey Bears according to Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman.
Several reports indicate Sheldon Souray going to AHL Hershey, Washington’s farm team
This is basically the reverse of the Michael Nylander situation, as the Capitals front office sent Nylander to play for a different AHL team.
Souray’s outlook is still unclear. I’m not certain if the Oilers can still trade him now that he’s loaned to a different AHL squad, but while he isn’t making the same kind of money as fellow demoted defenseman Wade Redden, the two years remaining on his contract make him a little tougher to deal if Edmonton is allowed to do so.
Highly paid NHL players should probably take notice of these types of situations. If you don’t produce (like Redden or exiled goalie Cristobal Huet) or behave (like Souray), you might become one of the highest paid minor league hockey players ever. Quite the cautionary tale in this strange salary cap age, I’d say.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 44
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot