Oct 6, 2010, 3:35 PM EST
Sheldon Souray is such an unpopular guy within the Edmonton Oilers organization, they don’t even want him to play for their minor league affiliate. Rather than having skate with the Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL, the Oilers reportedly “loaned” him to the Washington Capitals’ affiliate the Hershey Bears according to Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman.
Several reports indicate Sheldon Souray going to AHL Hershey, Washington’s farm team
This is basically the reverse of the Michael Nylander situation, as the Capitals front office sent Nylander to play for a different AHL team.
Souray’s outlook is still unclear. I’m not certain if the Oilers can still trade him now that he’s loaned to a different AHL squad, but while he isn’t making the same kind of money as fellow demoted defenseman Wade Redden, the two years remaining on his contract make him a little tougher to deal if Edmonton is allowed to do so.
Highly paid NHL players should probably take notice of these types of situations. If you don’t produce (like Redden or exiled goalie Cristobal Huet) or behave (like Souray), you might become one of the highest paid minor league hockey players ever. Quite the cautionary tale in this strange salary cap age, I’d say.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 15
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)