Oct 6, 2010, 3:35 PM EST
Sheldon Souray is such an unpopular guy within the Edmonton Oilers organization, they don’t even want him to play for their minor league affiliate. Rather than having skate with the Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL, the Oilers reportedly “loaned” him to the Washington Capitals’ affiliate the Hershey Bears according to Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman.
Several reports indicate Sheldon Souray going to AHL Hershey, Washington’s farm team
This is basically the reverse of the Michael Nylander situation, as the Capitals front office sent Nylander to play for a different AHL team.
Souray’s outlook is still unclear. I’m not certain if the Oilers can still trade him now that he’s loaned to a different AHL squad, but while he isn’t making the same kind of money as fellow demoted defenseman Wade Redden, the two years remaining on his contract make him a little tougher to deal if Edmonton is allowed to do so.
Highly paid NHL players should probably take notice of these types of situations. If you don’t produce (like Redden or exiled goalie Cristobal Huet) or behave (like Souray), you might become one of the highest paid minor league hockey players ever. Quite the cautionary tale in this strange salary cap age, I’d say.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 3
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)