Oct 6, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Sheldon Souray is such an unpopular guy within the Edmonton Oilers organization, they don’t even want him to play for their minor league affiliate. Rather than having skate with the Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL, the Oilers reportedly “loaned” him to the Washington Capitals’ affiliate the Hershey Bears according to Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman.
Several reports indicate Sheldon Souray going to AHL Hershey, Washington’s farm team
This is basically the reverse of the Michael Nylander situation, as the Capitals front office sent Nylander to play for a different AHL team.
Souray’s outlook is still unclear. I’m not certain if the Oilers can still trade him now that he’s loaned to a different AHL squad, but while he isn’t making the same kind of money as fellow demoted defenseman Wade Redden, the two years remaining on his contract make him a little tougher to deal if Edmonton is allowed to do so.
Highly paid NHL players should probably take notice of these types of situations. If you don’t produce (like Redden or exiled goalie Cristobal Huet) or behave (like Souray), you might become one of the highest paid minor league hockey players ever. Quite the cautionary tale in this strange salary cap age, I’d say.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)