Oct 6, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
There are a few NHL teams who are still without a captain, but the Edmonton Oilers named their franchise’s 13th captain today. The team decided to name veteran center Shawn Horcoff their captain, according to the team.
The Edmonton Oilers have named Shawn Horcoff as their new captain, making him the 13th player to wear the “C” since the team joined the NHL in 1979.
The 32-year-old centre is entering his 10th NHL season, all with the Oilers. Drafted in the 4th round (99th overall) in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft, the 6’1″, 208 pound native of Trail, British Columbia has scored 374 points (133G, 241A) with 417 penalty minutes in 637 career games.
Beyond 37-year-old goalie Nikolai Khabibulin, Horcoff is practically a dinosaur at 32 compared to the young influx of talent coming into this team. He might not be a truly elite player, but he seems pretty useful in all aspects of the game and would be a great fit as a second or third pivot (unfortunately, he’s often playing the role of a No. 1).
Want to know who the other Oilers captains were? Edmonton provided a nice little list.
Horcoff joins Ron Chipperfield (1979-80), Blair MacDonald (1980-81), Lee Fogolin (1980-81 to 1982-1983), Wayne Gretzky (1983-84 to 1987-88), Mark Messier (1988-89 to 1990-91), Kevin Lowe (1991-92), Craig MacTavish (1992-93 to 1993-94), Shayne Corson (1994-95), Kelly Buchberger (1995-96 to 1998-99), Doug Weight (1999-00 to 2000-01), Jason Smith (2001-02 to 2006-07) and Ethan Moreau (2007-08 to 2009-10) in the succession of Oiler captains.
There might be more captaincy-related news as the day goes on, so we’ll pass along word if any other teams hand over the “C.” Could it be the Vancouver Canucks or San Jose Sharks? We’ll let you know.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)