Oct 6, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
There are many telltale signs that hockey season – and cold weather time – is approaching.
Unfortunately, one of those signals happens to be an increase in flu symptoms among players and people alike. The Canadian Press reports that Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price might miss Thursday’s regular season opener against the Maple Leafs in Toronto because of his sickness.
Canadiens goaltender Carey Price is sick with the flu and might not play in Montreal’s NHL season opener Thursday night against the Maple Leafs in Toronto.
Price and injured defenceman Andrei Markov, who is also sick, did not take part in practice Wednesday.
Backup Alex Auld would probably start if Price cannot play, but there is no word on whether or not Curtis Sanford will receive a brief call-up from the AHL to serve as Auld’s temporary No. 2.
It’s not set in stone that Price will miss the game, but this is why you invest in a solid, steady second goalie such as Auld.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)