Oct 6, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
There are many telltale signs that hockey season – and cold weather time – is approaching.
Unfortunately, one of those signals happens to be an increase in flu symptoms among players and people alike. The Canadian Press reports that Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price might miss Thursday’s regular season opener against the Maple Leafs in Toronto because of his sickness.
Canadiens goaltender Carey Price is sick with the flu and might not play in Montreal’s NHL season opener Thursday night against the Maple Leafs in Toronto.
Price and injured defenceman Andrei Markov, who is also sick, did not take part in practice Wednesday.
Backup Alex Auld would probably start if Price cannot play, but there is no word on whether or not Curtis Sanford will receive a brief call-up from the AHL to serve as Auld’s temporary No. 2.
It’s not set in stone that Price will miss the game, but this is why you invest in a solid, steady second goalie such as Auld.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)