Oct 6, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
There are many telltale signs that hockey season – and cold weather time – is approaching.
Unfortunately, one of those signals happens to be an increase in flu symptoms among players and people alike. The Canadian Press reports that Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price might miss Thursday’s regular season opener against the Maple Leafs in Toronto because of his sickness.
Canadiens goaltender Carey Price is sick with the flu and might not play in Montreal’s NHL season opener Thursday night against the Maple Leafs in Toronto.
Price and injured defenceman Andrei Markov, who is also sick, did not take part in practice Wednesday.
Backup Alex Auld would probably start if Price cannot play, but there is no word on whether or not Curtis Sanford will receive a brief call-up from the AHL to serve as Auld’s temporary No. 2.
It’s not set in stone that Price will miss the game, but this is why you invest in a solid, steady second goalie such as Auld.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 51
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)