Oct 6, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
There are many telltale signs that hockey season – and cold weather time – is approaching.
Unfortunately, one of those signals happens to be an increase in flu symptoms among players and people alike. The Canadian Press reports that Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price might miss Thursday’s regular season opener against the Maple Leafs in Toronto because of his sickness.
Canadiens goaltender Carey Price is sick with the flu and might not play in Montreal’s NHL season opener Thursday night against the Maple Leafs in Toronto.
Price and injured defenceman Andrei Markov, who is also sick, did not take part in practice Wednesday.
Backup Alex Auld would probably start if Price cannot play, but there is no word on whether or not Curtis Sanford will receive a brief call-up from the AHL to serve as Auld’s temporary No. 2.
It’s not set in stone that Price will miss the game, but this is why you invest in a solid, steady second goalie such as Auld.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)