Oct 6, 2010, 1:20 PM EST
There are many telltale signs that hockey season – and cold weather time – is approaching.
Unfortunately, one of those signals happens to be an increase in flu symptoms among players and people alike. The Canadian Press reports that Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price might miss Thursday’s regular season opener against the Maple Leafs in Toronto because of his sickness.
Canadiens goaltender Carey Price is sick with the flu and might not play in Montreal’s NHL season opener Thursday night against the Maple Leafs in Toronto.
Price and injured defenceman Andrei Markov, who is also sick, did not take part in practice Wednesday.
Backup Alex Auld would probably start if Price cannot play, but there is no word on whether or not Curtis Sanford will receive a brief call-up from the AHL to serve as Auld’s temporary No. 2.
It’s not set in stone that Price will miss the game, but this is why you invest in a solid, steady second goalie such as Auld.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)