Oct 5, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
With a flurry of moves happening at noon today, one move that stands out is a trade. Vancouver traded defenseman Shane O’Brien and forward Dan Gendur to Nashville for defenseman Ryan Parent and forward Jonas Andersson. Vancouver then followed that trade up by putting Parent on waivers with the purpose of sending him to Manitoba.
This trade is a bit odd if you’re looking at it player-wise, and makes perfect sense for Vancouver from a bookkeeping standpoint. With the players involved, O’Brien doesn’t really make too much sense for Nashville. Yes, they could use a physical presence on the blue line like O’Brien, but head coach Barry Trotz is not a fan of undisciplined players and O’Brien’s penchant for taking bad penalties should prove to be an interesting dynamic to see how he works out there. He’s certainly a more talented option at defense than the likes of Kevin Klein, whether that trade off for occasional boneheaded mistakes makes it worthwhile remains to be seen.
As for Parent, over the course of his career he’s become the bouncing ball of transactions. He was originally a Predator, but was traded to Philadelphia, then later sent back to Nashville this off-season. Now he heads to Vancouver only to likely end up in the AHL being mixed up in the Canucks financial crunch/defensive depth mix.
While the Canucks will get some salary relief with Sami Salo and Alex Burrows starting the year on LTIR, Parent’s $925,000 still is a bit too much to keep around in the press box. Keeping Shane O’Brien around as a $1.6 million healthy scratch was an automatic no-go for Vancouver and likely the main reason why he’s headed to Music City, USA.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)