Oct 5, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
After the last few days of waiver wire action went quietly with players being placed on waivers and then unclaimed to be sent to the minors, today brought some action.
Yesterday saw the Panthers put Michael Grabner on waivers for the purpose of sending him to Rochester in the AHL. He won’t be heading to Rochester, however, he’ll instead end up on Long Island with the New York Islanders as the Isles claimed him on waivers. For the Islanders the move makes sense given the injuries up front to Kyle Okposo (out up to 2 months) and now to Rob Schremp who’ll be out 3-4 weeks.
It wouldn’t be a flurry of moves without Lightning GM Steve Yzerman getting involved and he did, this time taking a player away from his old team as they claimed young forward Mattias Ritola from Detroit. Not-so coincidentally, the Lightning released Eric Perrin from his professional tryout.
Also hitting waivers today: Jeff Tambellini – Vancouver, Kirk Maltby and Derek Meech – Detroit, David Hale – Ottawa, Tim Kennedy and Todd White – NY Rangers, Ryan Potulny and Jassen Cullimore – Chicago, Ryan Craig and Andrew Hutchinson – Pittsburgh, Andy Hilbert – NY Islanders, Brett Sutter – Calgary, Ryan Parent – Vancouver.
Tim Kennedy and Todd White being waived by the Rangers is interesting because both were brought in to make bids for spots on the third line. Instead, both hit the waiver wire and while John Tortorella expects that they’ll both clear waivers, Kennedy and his $500,000 contract certainly make it easy for someone to grab him.
Parent being waived by Vancouver might be news to those of you that missed he was traded there by Nashville today for Shane O’Brien.
Yesterday’s big waiver name Erik Ersberg of the Los Angeles Kings cleared waivers and will head to Manchester of the AHL.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)