Oct 5, 2010, 1:33 PM EST
After the last few days of waiver wire action went quietly with players being placed on waivers and then unclaimed to be sent to the minors, today brought some action.
Yesterday saw the Panthers put Michael Grabner on waivers for the purpose of sending him to Rochester in the AHL. He won’t be heading to Rochester, however, he’ll instead end up on Long Island with the New York Islanders as the Isles claimed him on waivers. For the Islanders the move makes sense given the injuries up front to Kyle Okposo (out up to 2 months) and now to Rob Schremp who’ll be out 3-4 weeks.
It wouldn’t be a flurry of moves without Lightning GM Steve Yzerman getting involved and he did, this time taking a player away from his old team as they claimed young forward Mattias Ritola from Detroit. Not-so coincidentally, the Lightning released Eric Perrin from his professional tryout.
Also hitting waivers today: Jeff Tambellini – Vancouver, Kirk Maltby and Derek Meech – Detroit, David Hale – Ottawa, Tim Kennedy and Todd White – NY Rangers, Ryan Potulny and Jassen Cullimore – Chicago, Ryan Craig and Andrew Hutchinson – Pittsburgh, Andy Hilbert – NY Islanders, Brett Sutter – Calgary, Ryan Parent – Vancouver.
Tim Kennedy and Todd White being waived by the Rangers is interesting because both were brought in to make bids for spots on the third line. Instead, both hit the waiver wire and while John Tortorella expects that they’ll both clear waivers, Kennedy and his $500,000 contract certainly make it easy for someone to grab him.
Parent being waived by Vancouver might be news to those of you that missed he was traded there by Nashville today for Shane O’Brien.
Yesterday’s big waiver name Erik Ersberg of the Los Angeles Kings cleared waivers and will head to Manchester of the AHL.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4