Oct 5, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
After the last few days of waiver wire action went quietly with players being placed on waivers and then unclaimed to be sent to the minors, today brought some action.
Yesterday saw the Panthers put Michael Grabner on waivers for the purpose of sending him to Rochester in the AHL. He won’t be heading to Rochester, however, he’ll instead end up on Long Island with the New York Islanders as the Isles claimed him on waivers. For the Islanders the move makes sense given the injuries up front to Kyle Okposo (out up to 2 months) and now to Rob Schremp who’ll be out 3-4 weeks.
It wouldn’t be a flurry of moves without Lightning GM Steve Yzerman getting involved and he did, this time taking a player away from his old team as they claimed young forward Mattias Ritola from Detroit. Not-so coincidentally, the Lightning released Eric Perrin from his professional tryout.
Also hitting waivers today: Jeff Tambellini – Vancouver, Kirk Maltby and Derek Meech – Detroit, David Hale – Ottawa, Tim Kennedy and Todd White – NY Rangers, Ryan Potulny and Jassen Cullimore – Chicago, Ryan Craig and Andrew Hutchinson – Pittsburgh, Andy Hilbert – NY Islanders, Brett Sutter – Calgary, Ryan Parent – Vancouver.
Tim Kennedy and Todd White being waived by the Rangers is interesting because both were brought in to make bids for spots on the third line. Instead, both hit the waiver wire and while John Tortorella expects that they’ll both clear waivers, Kennedy and his $500,000 contract certainly make it easy for someone to grab him.
Parent being waived by Vancouver might be news to those of you that missed he was traded there by Nashville today for Shane O’Brien.
Yesterday’s big waiver name Erik Ersberg of the Los Angeles Kings cleared waivers and will head to Manchester of the AHL.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)