Oct 5, 2010, 9:15 PM EDT
As the regular season rapidly approaches, NHL teams are presenting their product in exhibition games against foreign league teams, often on their turf. Today’s slate featured two of those games, with the NHL going 2-0. Let’s take a quick look at both of them.
Plus: The Bruins survived “White Hell” thanks to an outstanding performance by center Patrice Bergeron, who scored twice off of breakaways and also provided three assists for a five-point night. The crowd didn’t die down even when their team was down 7-1, which is an impressive feat. Then again, this was an especially festive event. Apparently this marked the first time an NHL team played against a Czech elite league team.
Minus: Is there any way to make an appropriate joke about “White Hell?”
Plus: The Blue Jackets survived an early string of chances for the Red Hawks, beating them 4-1 thanks largely to two goals by Antoine Vermette and two assists by Derek Brassard. Check out these video highlights of the game via NHL.com.
Minus: The Blue Jackets shouldn’t get too cocky, though. The Red Hawks apparently dressed 10 players under the age of 20 because the team is going through a tough stretch right now. The Red Hawks play in a league one level below the Swedish Elite League, too. So it’s not exactly as if the Blue Jackets just beat the best hockey team not in the NHL today.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)