Oct 5, 2010, 9:15 PM EDT
As the regular season rapidly approaches, NHL teams are presenting their product in exhibition games against foreign league teams, often on their turf. Today’s slate featured two of those games, with the NHL going 2-0. Let’s take a quick look at both of them.
Plus: The Bruins survived “White Hell” thanks to an outstanding performance by center Patrice Bergeron, who scored twice off of breakaways and also provided three assists for a five-point night. The crowd didn’t die down even when their team was down 7-1, which is an impressive feat. Then again, this was an especially festive event. Apparently this marked the first time an NHL team played against a Czech elite league team.
Minus: Is there any way to make an appropriate joke about “White Hell?”
Plus: The Blue Jackets survived an early string of chances for the Red Hawks, beating them 4-1 thanks largely to two goals by Antoine Vermette and two assists by Derek Brassard. Check out these video highlights of the game via NHL.com.
Minus: The Blue Jackets shouldn’t get too cocky, though. The Red Hawks apparently dressed 10 players under the age of 20 because the team is going through a tough stretch right now. The Red Hawks play in a league one level below the Swedish Elite League, too. So it’s not exactly as if the Blue Jackets just beat the best hockey team not in the NHL today.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)