Oct 5, 2010, 9:15 PM EDT
As the regular season rapidly approaches, NHL teams are presenting their product in exhibition games against foreign league teams, often on their turf. Today’s slate featured two of those games, with the NHL going 2-0. Let’s take a quick look at both of them.
Plus: The Bruins survived “White Hell” thanks to an outstanding performance by center Patrice Bergeron, who scored twice off of breakaways and also provided three assists for a five-point night. The crowd didn’t die down even when their team was down 7-1, which is an impressive feat. Then again, this was an especially festive event. Apparently this marked the first time an NHL team played against a Czech elite league team.
Minus: Is there any way to make an appropriate joke about “White Hell?”
Plus: The Blue Jackets survived an early string of chances for the Red Hawks, beating them 4-1 thanks largely to two goals by Antoine Vermette and two assists by Derek Brassard. Check out these video highlights of the game via NHL.com.
Minus: The Blue Jackets shouldn’t get too cocky, though. The Red Hawks apparently dressed 10 players under the age of 20 because the team is going through a tough stretch right now. The Red Hawks play in a league one level below the Swedish Elite League, too. So it’s not exactly as if the Blue Jackets just beat the best hockey team not in the NHL today.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)