Oct 5, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
The Atlanta Thrashers signed their 2010 first round pick (and the eighth pick overall) Alex Burmistrov to a three-year entry-level deal, according to the team. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the deal is worth $870K per year and includes a $270K signing bonus.
Burmistrov, 18, appeared in 62 games with the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) last season, tallying 65 points (22 goals, 43 assists). The 6-1, 180-pound center also added 16 points (eight goals, eight assists) in 17 post-season contests for the Colts. Entering the NHL Entry Draft, he was the 11th-ranked North American skater by the NHL’s Central Scouting Service. Burmistrov participated in the 2010 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game for Team Orr and won the fastest skater competition.
Prior to his time in Barrie, the Kazan, Russia, native spent one season playing for Kazan Ak-Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League. Burmistrov also represented his country at the 2010 World Junior Championships, recording four points (three goals, one assist) in six games.
Signing Burmistrov before the start of the regular season gives the opportunities to play the Russian forward at the NHL level if they choose to do so. The Thrashers aren’t overflowing with depth at that position, so you never know, he might just make an immediate jump to the big time.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)