Oct 5, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
The Atlanta Thrashers signed their 2010 first round pick (and the eighth pick overall) Alex Burmistrov to a three-year entry-level deal, according to the team. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the deal is worth $870K per year and includes a $270K signing bonus.
Burmistrov, 18, appeared in 62 games with the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) last season, tallying 65 points (22 goals, 43 assists). The 6-1, 180-pound center also added 16 points (eight goals, eight assists) in 17 post-season contests for the Colts. Entering the NHL Entry Draft, he was the 11th-ranked North American skater by the NHL’s Central Scouting Service. Burmistrov participated in the 2010 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game for Team Orr and won the fastest skater competition.
Prior to his time in Barrie, the Kazan, Russia, native spent one season playing for Kazan Ak-Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League. Burmistrov also represented his country at the 2010 World Junior Championships, recording four points (three goals, one assist) in six games.
Signing Burmistrov before the start of the regular season gives the opportunities to play the Russian forward at the NHL level if they choose to do so. The Thrashers aren’t overflowing with depth at that position, so you never know, he might just make an immediate jump to the big time.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46