Oct 5, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers signed their 2010 first round pick (and the eighth pick overall) Alex Burmistrov to a three-year entry-level deal, according to the team. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the deal is worth $870K per year and includes a $270K signing bonus.
Burmistrov, 18, appeared in 62 games with the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) last season, tallying 65 points (22 goals, 43 assists). The 6-1, 180-pound center also added 16 points (eight goals, eight assists) in 17 post-season contests for the Colts. Entering the NHL Entry Draft, he was the 11th-ranked North American skater by the NHL’s Central Scouting Service. Burmistrov participated in the 2010 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game for Team Orr and won the fastest skater competition.
Prior to his time in Barrie, the Kazan, Russia, native spent one season playing for Kazan Ak-Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League. Burmistrov also represented his country at the 2010 World Junior Championships, recording four points (three goals, one assist) in six games.
Signing Burmistrov before the start of the regular season gives the opportunities to play the Russian forward at the NHL level if they choose to do so. The Thrashers aren’t overflowing with depth at that position, so you never know, he might just make an immediate jump to the big time.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 1
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)