Oct 5, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers signed their 2010 first round pick (and the eighth pick overall) Alex Burmistrov to a three-year entry-level deal, according to the team. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the deal is worth $870K per year and includes a $270K signing bonus.
Burmistrov, 18, appeared in 62 games with the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) last season, tallying 65 points (22 goals, 43 assists). The 6-1, 180-pound center also added 16 points (eight goals, eight assists) in 17 post-season contests for the Colts. Entering the NHL Entry Draft, he was the 11th-ranked North American skater by the NHL’s Central Scouting Service. Burmistrov participated in the 2010 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game for Team Orr and won the fastest skater competition.
Prior to his time in Barrie, the Kazan, Russia, native spent one season playing for Kazan Ak-Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League. Burmistrov also represented his country at the 2010 World Junior Championships, recording four points (three goals, one assist) in six games.
Signing Burmistrov before the start of the regular season gives the opportunities to play the Russian forward at the NHL level if they choose to do so. The Thrashers aren’t overflowing with depth at that position, so you never know, he might just make an immediate jump to the big time.
- Report: Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 0
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 53
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)