Oct 5, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers signed their 2010 first round pick (and the eighth pick overall) Alex Burmistrov to a three-year entry-level deal, according to the team. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the deal is worth $870K per year and includes a $270K signing bonus.
Burmistrov, 18, appeared in 62 games with the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) last season, tallying 65 points (22 goals, 43 assists). The 6-1, 180-pound center also added 16 points (eight goals, eight assists) in 17 post-season contests for the Colts. Entering the NHL Entry Draft, he was the 11th-ranked North American skater by the NHL’s Central Scouting Service. Burmistrov participated in the 2010 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game for Team Orr and won the fastest skater competition.
Prior to his time in Barrie, the Kazan, Russia, native spent one season playing for Kazan Ak-Bars of the Kontinental Hockey League. Burmistrov also represented his country at the 2010 World Junior Championships, recording four points (three goals, one assist) in six games.
Signing Burmistrov before the start of the regular season gives the opportunities to play the Russian forward at the NHL level if they choose to do so. The Thrashers aren’t overflowing with depth at that position, so you never know, he might just make an immediate jump to the big time.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)