Oct 4, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
In perhaps the most surprising news regarding a veteran NHL player getting the boot, the Philadelphia Flyers decided to release Bill Guerin after giving him a pro tryout this preseason. CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio broke the news.
Veteran Bill Guerin, who had been skating with the Flyers on a tryout, has been released by the team, he told CSNPhilly.com in a text message.
Guerin, 39, spent last season with the Pittsburgh Penguins, who released him late this summer. He struggled a bit this preseason with the Flyers, however, missing two games with an infected elbow, and going minus-4 in his final game with the team Sunday in Buffalo.
The thought of Guerin skating against the Penguins six times a year as a member of the Philadelphia Flyers probably left more than a few Pittsburgh fans feeling queasy. He wasn’t an all-world line mate for Sidney Crosby, but his right handed shot and high-end character proved to be a solid (and affordable) compliment for the team’s young captain.
Who knows what the future has in store for Guerin? I’ve written before that I think he would be a good fit for the St. Louis Blues, a team that is going young but might miss the power play presence of retired winger Keith Tkachuk. Guerin could fit the wise-cracking, power play specialist/graybeard role quite well.
Guerin scored 21 or more goals every season since the 2006-07 campaign, so it’s hard to imagine that he cannot help any of the 30 NHL teams. Still, he’s not quite as physically dominant as he once was and is far from a defensive dynamo, so whatever club considers him would need to accept his role as a one-dimensional scorer.
At 39-years-old, Guerin might not be quite as willing to go the Plan B route of taking a job in the KHL or another overseas league. Could this be it for the veteran RW or will he catch on with a team that needs a touch of scoring or an injury replacement? We’ll just have to wait and see.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54