Oct 4, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
It seems like in most cases this off-season, veteran skaters seeking NHL contracts through tryouts have been left out in the cold. That was the case with Bill Guerin and Kyle Wellwood, but it looks like former Pittsburgh Penguins forward Ruslan Fedotenko might just stick with the New York Rangers after a strong preseason.
Ruslan Fedotenko has been rewarded for his strong pre-season as he has signed a one-year, $1 million contract with the New York Rangers.
The 31-year old Fedotenko, who had been in Rangers’ camp on a tryout basis, impressed the Rangers’ brass sufficiently by leading the team in scoring during the pre-season with one goal and six assists in five pre-season games. He appears to have found some decent chemistry in camp on the Rangers third line with shift disturber Sean Avery and rookie Derek Stepan.
Fedotenko doesn’t have the highest ceiling, but the Rangers need all the help they can get since both Vaclav Prospal and Chris Drury will probably begin the season on the injured reserve. He won’t make their troubling situation at center go away as a winger, but the team needs all the help they can get.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)