Oct 4, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
The NHL made its decision regarding Montreal Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri’s slash on New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter on October 2, suspending Cammalleri for one game.
Michael Cammalleri was suspended for one game by the NHL due to a slashing incident on Nino Niederreiter in a preseason game Saturday against the New York Islanders. Cammalleri received a five-minute major and game misconduct on the play, which occurred with 3:08 left in the second period.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Cammalleri will forfeit $32,258.06. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
While Joe wrote that Cammalleri might have had “just cause” for going after Niederreiter, it’s difficult to argue with the league’s decision to make him sit for a game.
The biggest problem is that Cammalleri didn’t just make one passionate (and still questionable) move with his stick. He swung high at Niederreiter once and then slashed him from behind in the ankle, which indicates to me that an angry Cammalleri could make an even more dangerous mistake at some point if he’s not properly reprimanded. Take a look for yourself in this video of the incident.
Pretty ugly, if you ask me, but what do you think? Did Cammalleri deserve a suspension for this slash? Should he be out more than one game for it? Let us know in the comments.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)