Oct 4, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
The NHL made its decision regarding Montreal Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri’s slash on New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter on October 2, suspending Cammalleri for one game.
Michael Cammalleri was suspended for one game by the NHL due to a slashing incident on Nino Niederreiter in a preseason game Saturday against the New York Islanders. Cammalleri received a five-minute major and game misconduct on the play, which occurred with 3:08 left in the second period.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Cammalleri will forfeit $32,258.06. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
While Joe wrote that Cammalleri might have had “just cause” for going after Niederreiter, it’s difficult to argue with the league’s decision to make him sit for a game.
The biggest problem is that Cammalleri didn’t just make one passionate (and still questionable) move with his stick. He swung high at Niederreiter once and then slashed him from behind in the ankle, which indicates to me that an angry Cammalleri could make an even more dangerous mistake at some point if he’s not properly reprimanded. Take a look for yourself in this video of the incident.
Pretty ugly, if you ask me, but what do you think? Did Cammalleri deserve a suspension for this slash? Should he be out more than one game for it? Let us know in the comments.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)