Oct 4, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
The NHL made its decision regarding Montreal Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri’s slash on New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter on October 2, suspending Cammalleri for one game.
Michael Cammalleri was suspended for one game by the NHL due to a slashing incident on Nino Niederreiter in a preseason game Saturday against the New York Islanders. Cammalleri received a five-minute major and game misconduct on the play, which occurred with 3:08 left in the second period.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Cammalleri will forfeit $32,258.06. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
While Joe wrote that Cammalleri might have had “just cause” for going after Niederreiter, it’s difficult to argue with the league’s decision to make him sit for a game.
The biggest problem is that Cammalleri didn’t just make one passionate (and still questionable) move with his stick. He swung high at Niederreiter once and then slashed him from behind in the ankle, which indicates to me that an angry Cammalleri could make an even more dangerous mistake at some point if he’s not properly reprimanded. Take a look for yourself in this video of the incident.
Pretty ugly, if you ask me, but what do you think? Did Cammalleri deserve a suspension for this slash? Should he be out more than one game for it? Let us know in the comments.
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)