Oct 4, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
The NHL made its decision regarding Montreal Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri’s slash on New York Islanders prospect Nino Niederreiter on October 2, suspending Cammalleri for one game.
Michael Cammalleri was suspended for one game by the NHL due to a slashing incident on Nino Niederreiter in a preseason game Saturday against the New York Islanders. Cammalleri received a five-minute major and game misconduct on the play, which occurred with 3:08 left in the second period.
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Cammalleri will forfeit $32,258.06. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
While Joe wrote that Cammalleri might have had “just cause” for going after Niederreiter, it’s difficult to argue with the league’s decision to make him sit for a game.
The biggest problem is that Cammalleri didn’t just make one passionate (and still questionable) move with his stick. He swung high at Niederreiter once and then slashed him from behind in the ankle, which indicates to me that an angry Cammalleri could make an even more dangerous mistake at some point if he’s not properly reprimanded. Take a look for yourself in this video of the incident.
Pretty ugly, if you ask me, but what do you think? Did Cammalleri deserve a suspension for this slash? Should he be out more than one game for it? Let us know in the comments.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 1
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 3
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 50
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (50)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)